No. 22 Bears Winning Streak Reaches 10 in Upset of No. 2 UCLA
April 5, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The University of California men's tennis team extended its winning streak to 10 consecutive matches today by handing second-ranked UCLA only its second loss of the season, 4-3, at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bears match the third longest winning streak in school history, and improve their record to 14-3 on the season.
Cal has not lost a match since dropping a 4-2 decision to Pepperdine on February 17 in Malibu. Since then, the Bears have upset the then-No. 1 ranked Stanford Cardinal in Palo Alto, ending the Cardinal's 75 home match winning streak. The second meeting between the two squads is set for Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. in Berkeley. In addition, Cal has opened up its Pac-10 season 2-0, having yet to drop a point in conference play. This afternoon's match with UCLA will not count against the teams' Pac-10 records.
UCLA got off to a quick start by defeating Cal's usually steady duo of Ben Miles and Balazs Veress on the top court, 8-1, in the pair's worst loss of the season. After John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk were doubled up on court No. 2 by UCLA's Tobias Clemens and Erfan Djahangiri, play was suspended at the third spot, as UCLA had already wrapped up the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead.
Freshman sensation Mik Ledvonova continued to sparkle for the Bears, blowing UCLA's Nick Kreiss off of court six, breezing to a 6-0, 6-0 victory. Another Bear freshman, Conor Niland, rebounded from a rough first set to defeat Djahangiri, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 at the third spot. With the score standing at 3-3 and all the attention turned to the first court, Cal's team captain, Fruttero, played like a champ, finishing off the higher-ranked Clemens in straight sets, 7-6, 6-4 to complete the upset.
Cal will stay in the Los Angeles area to take on No. 18 USC tomorrow at noon on the Southern California campus.
BE SURE TO CATCH CAL'S APRIL 9th MATCH WITH STANFORD AT HELLMAN TENNIS COMPLEX AT 3 P.M.
1. Ketola/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Miles/Veress (Cal) 8-1
2. Clemens/Djahangiri (UCLA) def. (37) Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) 8-4
3. Kreiss/Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Exon/Niland (Cal) Suspended
1. (22) John Paul Fruttero (Cal) def. (10) Tobias Clemens (UCLA) 7-6, 6-4
2. (15) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. (83) Balazs Veress (Cal) 6-3, 7-6
3. Conor Niland (Cal) def. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. (120) Wayne Wong (Cal) 7-6, 6-2
5. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Derrick Nguyen (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Mik Ledvonova (Cal) def. Nick Kreiss (UCLA) 6-0, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive