Women's Tennis Suffers 6-1 Loss At Stanford
April 5, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. -- The No. 13 USC women's tennis team suffered a 6-1 loss at Stanford to put an end to its nine-match win streak on Friday afternoon at the Cardinal's Taube Family Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Women of Troy fall to 14-5 overall, while the Cardinal improves to 16-1. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
The Trojans fell behind at the start after dropping all three doubles matches to give Stanford a 1-0 lead.
In singles, USC dropped the first set at all six positions, scoring no more than two points in a single set. Despite the Women of Troy's comeback effort, which sent three matches into a third set, the Cardinal did not take long as they clinched the match victory with two-set wins at courts 3, 5 and 6.
Junior Jewel Peterson posted the team's only point as she defeated Stanford's No. 10-ranked Lauren Kalvaria, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4, at center court.
USC travels to face No. 21 California on Saturday, April 6, at noon in Berkeley.
#4 Stanford 6, #13 USC 1
(1) #2 Kalvaria/Lastra (Stan) def. #4 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-6
(2) #14 Barnikow/Burdette (Stan) def. #19 Loyola/Magnani (USC) - 8-6
(3) Tokuda/Tweedie-Yates (Stan) def. Diaz/Esmero (USC) - 8-3
Stanford wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #10 Lauren Kalvaria (Stan) - 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
(2) #18 Gabriela Lastra (Stan) def. #31 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
(3) #14 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. #88 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) #24 Erin Burdette (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-0, 6-7, 6-3
(5) Keiko Tokuda (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-2, 6-2