Men's Tennis Completes Sweep With 4-3 Win Over Cal
April 6, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 19-ranked USC men's tennis team completed its sweep of the Bay Area schools with a 4-3 win over No. 22 California Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the victory, the Trojans improve to 16-4 overall, while the Golden Bears fall to 14-4. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
Both teams were trying to avoid a letdown after coming off Friday's big wins when USC upset Stanford and Cal upset UCLA. The determination was evident as the Trojans' No. 1 doubles Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey, fresh off a loss to the Cardinal, held the Bears' Ben Miles and Balazs Veress scoreless in a 8-0 win to start the match. Cal returned with wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions to earn the doubles point.
Moore started singles play with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Veress at No. 2 to even the score, but a win by Cal's Robert Kowalczyk and Conor Niland put the Bears back in the lead, 3-1. It was a must-win situation for USC's Andrew Park, Ruben Torres and Rainey, playing at courts 1, 6 and 4, respectively. Torres defeated the Bears' Mik Ledvonova, 6-4, 6-3, followed by Park who upset 22nd-ranked John Paul Fruttero, 7-5, 6-4, to tie the score. Rainey clinched the victory with a three-set win over Wayne Wong, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
The Trojans travel to the Pacific Northwest next week to face Oregon and Washington on Friday and Saturday (April 12-13).
#19 USC 4, #22 California 3
(1) #7 Rainey/Moore (USC) def. Miles/Veress (Cal) - 8-0
(2) #37 Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) - 8-6
(3) Exon/Niland (Cal) def. Amritraj/Park (USC) - 9-8 (7-4)
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #33 Andrew Park (USC) def. #22 John Paul Fruttero (Cal) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) #110 Ryan Moore (USC) def. #83 Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Conor Niland (Cal) def. #71 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(4) #54 Nick Rainey (USC) def. #120 Wayne Wong (Cal) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
(5) Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) Mik Ledvonova (Cal) - 6-4, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive