Men's Tennis Loses A Heartbreaker to No. 69 Arizona, 4-3
April 6, 2002
EUGENE, Ore. - The University of Oregon men's tennis lost another close home match on Saturday, falling 4-3 to the No. 69-ranked University of Arizona Wildcats. The Ducks battled, winning three singles matches, but were swept in doubles competition.
Oregon junior Oded Teig defeated Arizona's Whi Kim, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Greg Dubourdieu and freshman Sven Swinnen added the other two Oregon wins. Dubourdieu put away Bruno Arapovic of the Wildcats, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5. Swinnen defeated Carl Hagman, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4 singles.
The Ducks were swept in doubles play, losing all three matches, 8-6.
'It's always tough to lose at home,' said Oregon head coach Chris Russell. 'Playing Pac-10 matches are a great opportunity, but we just didn't do what we needed to do.'
The Ducks fall to 13-7, 0-3 in Pac-10 Conference play. The Wildcats improve to 8-9 on the season. Up next, Oregon hosts the USC Trojans on April 12, 2002 at 1 p.m.
#69 Arizona 4, Oregon 3
April 6, 2002 - Student Tennis Center, Eugene, Ore.
1. Steven Capriati (UA) def. Manuel Kost (UO), 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
2. Oded Teig (UO) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-3, 6-3.
3. Tom Lloyd (UA) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-1, 6-2.
4. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Carl Hagman (UA), 6-2, 6-4.
5. Greg Dubourdieu (UO) def. Bruno Arapovic (UA), 6-1, 6-2.
6. Roeland Brateanu (UA) def. Chris King (UO), 6-4, 6-4.
1. Capriati/Hagman (UA) def. Teig/Swinnen (UO), 8-6.
2. Kim/Brateanu (UA) def. Menke/Paalberg (UO), 8-6.
3. Lloyd/Colin O'Grady (UA) def. King/Kost (UO), 8-6.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive