No. 22 Bears Winning Steak Ended at 10
April 6, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The University of California men's tennis team had their six week-long winning streak snapped today at the hands of the No. 19 USC Trojans by a score of 4-3 in Los Angeles. Both teams were coming off huge Friday upsets when Cal dropped UCLA across-town 4-3, while USC finished off Stanford, 6-1. The Bears' winning streak, ended at 10, represents a tie for the third longest in school history.
Cal got things started right, challenging the higher-ranked Trojans by taking the doubles point in a hard-fought battle on the third court. Chase Exon and Conor Niland defeated Prakash Amritraj and Andrew Park by a 9-8 score, following a 7-4 tiebreaker, as Cal entered the singles portion of the match with a 1-0 lead.
Things went south for the Bears in singles, however, as three Cal players suffered straight set losses, including team captain John Paul Fruttero and freshman sensation Mik Ledvonova. Niland continued his ascent to the class of the ITA by dispatching Amritraj in a pair of 6-4 sets. Robert Kowalczyk likewise performed well on the fifth court, finishing off Daniel Langre, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bears return to Berkeley on Tuesday to entertain the higher-ranked Stanford Cardinal. Match time is set for 3:00 p.m. at Hellman Tennis Center.
BE SURE TO CATCH CAL'S APRIL 9th MATCH WITH STANFORD AT HELLMAN TENNIS COMPLEX AT 3 P.M.
#19 USC 4, #22 California 3
(1) #7 Rainey/Moore (USC) def. Miles/Veress (Cal) - 8-0
(2) #37 Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) - 8-6
(3) Exon/Niland (Cal) def. Amritraj/Park (USC) - 9-8 (7-4)
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #33 Andrew Park (USC) def. #22 John Paul Fruttero (Cal) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) #110 Ryan Moore (USC) def. #83 Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Conor Niland (Cal) def. #71 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(4) #54 Nick Rainey (USC) def. #120 Wayne Wong (Cal) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
(5) Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) Mik Ledvonova (Cal) - 6-4, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive