Men's Tennis Takes Down No. 17 California, 5-2
April 13, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - Behind four singles wins, including the doubles point, the Arizona State men's tennis team (10-8, 3-4 Pac-10 ) upset 17th-ranked California 5-2 this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils opened the dual by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. ASU's duo of Matt Klinger and Mitchell Bowen posted a victory on the No. 1 court, winning 9-8(11), over John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk, while Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele finished with a victory on the No. 3 court defeating Conor Niland and Chase Exon 8-4.
ASU continued its winning streak when Mirza Duranovic and Chris Stewart both posted their second victories of the weekend. Duranovic defeated Wayne Wong 7-6, 6-1 and Stewart defeated Mik Ledvonova 6-3, 3-1 (Ret). Letcher posted the fourth win needed to clinch the match when he defeated Niland 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
Senior Matt Klinger played a tough, three set match on the No. 1 court. After a strong finish he took the victory defeating Fruttero 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (6).
Up next, Arizona State will end the regular season with a final home dual against rival University of Arizona next Saturday, April 20, at the Whiteman Tennis Center at Noon.
1. Klinger/Mitchell Bowen (ASU) def. Fruttero (Cal), 9-8(11)
2. Ben Miles/Veress (Cal) def. Charroin/Stewart (ASU), 8-5
3. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Niland/ Chase Exon (Cal), 8-4
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. John Paul Fruttero (Cal), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(6)
2. Balazs Veress (Cal) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Conor Niland (Cal), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
4. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Wayne Wong (Cal), 7-6, 6-1
5. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Mik Ledvonova (Cal), 6-3, 3-1 (Ret)
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive