No. 3 Women's Tennis Routs No. 9 Arizona State 7-0
April 13, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 3 Stanford women's tennis picked up its 14th straight victory of the season on Saturday, blanking No. 9 Arizona State 7-0 in Pac-10 conference action at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal improves to 19-1 with the win, while the Sun Devils fall to 12-6.
The Cardinal started the match by capturing the doubles point, as the No. 3 team of Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, Wash.) secured a 9-8 (7-5) victory to clinch the point. Stanford's top tandem of seniors Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.) and Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.) notched an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles.
On the singles side, Stanford continued to dominate by sweeping all six spots of the lineup. Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) breezed to a 6-1, 6-1 triumph at the No. 3 position in the easiest Cardinal match of the afternoon, while freshman Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.) held on for a 6-7, 6-4, 10-5 win over ASU's Cindy Sureephong at No. 4. Kalvaria, Lastra, Tokuda and Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) also recorded victories in Stanford's fourth shutout in six matches.
The Cardinal faces UCLA next Friday in Los Angeles at 1:30 p.m.
1) No. 10 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. No. 20 Adria Engel (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
2) No. 18 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. No. 29 Dora Krstulovic (ASU) 6-2, 7-5
3) No. 14 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. No. 74 Mhairi Brown (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
4) No. 24 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) 6-7, 6-4, 10-5
5) Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Lauren Colallilo (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
6) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Joselynn Burkett (ASU) 6-1, 7-5
1) No. 2 Kalvaria-Lastra (STAN) def. No. 24 Engel-Krstulovic (ASU) 8-4
2) Brown-Sureephong (ASU) def. No. 14 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) 8-4
3) Tokuda-Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Colalillo-Megan Yeats (ASU) 9-8 (7-5)