Trojans Sweep Through Northwest
April 13, 2002
SEATTLE, Wash. -- The No. 10-ranked USC men's tennis team completed its sweep through the Northwest with a 5-2 victory over No. 33 Washington Saturday afternoon at the Huskies' Quillian Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 18-4 overall and 4-1 in the Pac-10, while Washington drops to 16-6 overall and 2-4 in conference play.
USC was clearly not affected by the difference in climate playing at UW's outdoor stadium and notched four of six singles matches and two of the three doubles competitions for the win.
Starting with doubles, the Huskies managed to earn one victory at court two, but the Trojans collected wins on the 1 and 3 courts to post the first point. Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey defeated Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski, 8-5, at center court and UW's Christoph Palmanshofer and and Peter Scharler could not hold on as they lost the tiebreaker, 9-7, to USC's Prakash Amritraj and Daniel Langre.
The Huskies earned two points in the top singles matches, but USC swept through the remaining four to secure the win. Amritraj, Rainey and Ruben Torres each posted two-set victories at the No. 3, 4 and 5 spots, while Langre held off UW's Dillon Ruby's comeback effort for a 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 win at No. 6.
Next week USC travels to face No. 6 Stanford and No. 17 Cal in the Bay Area on Friday and Saturday, April 19 and 20. The two matches will complete conference play.
#10 USC 5, #33 Washington 2
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Strasberg/Vlaski (Wash) - 8-5
(2) Hanlin/Ruby (Wash) def. Spizzo/Sullivan (USC) - 8-2
(3) Amritraj/Langre (USC) def. Palmanshofer/Scharler (Wash) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #68 Matt Hanlin (Wash) def. #33 Andrew Park (USC) - 6-4, 4-5, retired
(2) #46 Alex Vlaski (Wash) def. #110 Ryan Moore (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(3) #71 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Christoph Palmanshofer (Wash) - 6-1, 7-6
(4) #54 Nick Rainey (USC) def. Ari Strasberg (Wash) - 6-4, 7-5
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Peter Scharler (Wash) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Dillon Ruby (Wash) - 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive