UW Women's Tennis Team Edged by 8th-Ranked UCLA
April 13, 2002
LOS ANGELES - Megan Bradley won a hard-fought three-set decision in the top singles match Saturday, clinching the team victory for eighth-ranked UCLA which edged No. 20 Washington 4-3 in a Pacific-10 Conference women's match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Huskies (13-9) suffered their sixth straight setback and dropped to 1-6 in Pac-10 play. UCLA (15-3) lifted its conference record to 5-1.
The Bruins' doubles domination proved decisive as they claimed the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. The sixth-ranked UCLA tandem of Bradley and Lauren Fisher won the top doubles contest with an 8-2 victory over No. 39 Claire Carter and Darija Klaic. In No. 2 doubles, Sarah Gregg and Sara Walker defeated Colleen Gray and Dea Sumantri 9-8. Mariko Fritz-Krockow and Catherine Hawley teamed up to beat the UW duo of Andrea Coulter and Ilona Kordonskaya by an 8-3 tally.
Bradley, the nation's fourth-ranked singles competitor, lost the first set 5-7 to No. 62 Carter before capturing the final two sets 6-2, 6-1.
Seventh-ranked Walker won the second singles match, defeating Kordonskaya 6-1, 6-0. The Bruins only other singles win came in the No. 6 spot as Fritz-Krockow swept Kathy Chi by a 6-2, 6-0 count.
The Huskies earned a split in singles competition with three victories of their own, including Sumantri's lengthy 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (12-10) decision over Gregg in No. 3 singles. In the No. 4 position, Gray defeated Fisher by the score of 6-4, 6-2. Coulter rallied from one set down to defeat Hawley 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 slot.
The Huskies complete their regular-season schedule on Saturday (Apr. 20) at Oregon.
NCAA Women's Tennis
April 13, 2002
Los Angeles Tennis Center, Los Angeles, Calif.
#8 UCLA 4, #20 Washington 3
1. #4 Megan Bradley (UCLA) def. #62 Claire Carter (UW), 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 *clinched team victory
2. #7 Sara Walker (UCLA) def. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA), 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (12-10)
4. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA), 6-4, 6-2
5. Andrea Coulter (UW) def. Catherine Hawley (UCLA), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Mariko Fritz-Krockow (UCLA) def. Kathy Chi (UW), 6-2, 6-0
1. #6 Bradley/Fisher (UCLA) def. #39 Carter/Darija Klaic (UW), 8-2
2. Gregg/Walker (UCLA) def. Gray/Sumantri (UW), 9-8
3. Fritz-Krockow/Hawley (UCLA) def. Coulter/Kordonskaya (UW), 8-3 *clinched doubles point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive