Women's Tennis Beats Cougars, 5-2
April 13, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 12 USC women's tennis team remained undefeated in Pac-10 play with a 5-2 win over No. 29 Washington State Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy improve to 16-6 overall and 6-0 in the Pac-10, while the Cougars fall to 9-10, 1-6 in conference play.
To start the match, the Trojans endured two upsets in doubles play as Washington State won at courts No. 1 and 2 to earn the first point. After waking up with the flu, fourth-ranked Tiffany Brymer and partner Jewel Peterson fell To No. 15 Stacy McKenna and Erica Perkins, 8-2, at center court. WSU's Lorena Arias and Chris Martinez defeated 19th-ranked Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola, 8-4, at the No. 2 spot.
USC entered singles play down 1-0 and missing Brymer from the lineup, but won five of six matches to clinch the victory. Despite dropping a match at No. 5, the Trojans' Magnani, Loyola, Maureen Diaz and Bernadette Bayani each earned two-set victories at spots 2, 3, 4 and 6 to put USC ahead 4-2. In the final match, No. 5-ranked Peterson came back after dropping the first set to beat No. 54 Perkins, 5-7, 6-0, 6-1 at center court.
The Women of Troy return to action next week when they face No. 15 Cal and No. 3 Stanford at Marks Tennis Stadium on Friday (April 19) and Saturday (April 20) at 1:30 p.m. and noon, respectively.
#12 USC 5, #29 Washington State 2
(1) #15 McKenna/Perkins (WSU) def. #4 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-2
(2) Arias/Martinez (WSU) def. #19 Loyola/Magnani (USC) - 8-4
(3) Esmero/Bayani (USC) def. Sallai/Fodor (WSU) - 8-5
Washington State wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #54 Erica Perkins (WSU) - 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
(2) #31 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #78 Stacy McKenna (WSU) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Orsolya Sallai (WSU) - 6-3, 6-3
(4) #88 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Lorena Arias (WSU) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Nora Gaal (WSU) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Chris Martinez (WSU) - 6-4, 7-5