Men's Tennis Edges Rival Arizona
April 20, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (12-9, 4-4 Pac-10) edged their rivals from Tucson, the Arizona Wildcats, 4-3 this afternoon.
The Sun Devils dominated the doubles side, earning the point behind the duo of Matt Klinger and Mitchell Bowen, who defeated UA's Steven Capriati and Carl Hagman. Pim Van Mele and Clinton Letcher knocked off Whi Kim and Roeland Brateanu 8-6, while Chris Stewart and Olivier Charroin completed the doubles sweep by beating Tom Lloyd and Colin O'Grady 8-3.
On the singles side, Arizona's Steven Capriati got a measure of revenge for his doubles defeat by beating Matt Klinger 7-6 (5), 0-6, 6-3. Clinton Letcher took out Arizona's Tom Lloyd 6-4, 6-3, and Mirza Duranovic beat Carl Hagman 6-3, 6-2. The Wildcats made it close with Roeland Brateanu's 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Olivier Charroin. However, Pim Van Mele's victory over Whi Kim gave assured the Sun Devils of the victory, as he won by a score of 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
The Sun Devils finish the regular season 12-9 overall, and 4-4 in the Pac-10. Up next is the Pac-10 Championships, April 25th through the 28th in Ojai, California.
1. Steven Capriati (UA) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 7-6 (5), 0-6, 6-3
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Tom Lloyd (UA), 6-4, 6-3
4. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Carl Hagman (UA), 6-3, 6-2
5. Roeland Brateanu (UA) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Chris Stewart (ASU), 2-6, 7-6(4), 6-4
1. Klinger/ Mitchell Bowen (ASU) def. Capriati/Hagman (UA), 8-5
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Kim/Brateanu (UA), 8-6
3. Stewart/Charroin (ASU) def. Lloyd/O'Grady (UA), 8-3
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive