No. 34 Washington Downs Men's Tennis, 5-2
April 20, 2002
SEATTLE, Wash. - The University of Oregon men's tennis squad finished the dual season with a loss to the No. 34-ranked Washington Huskies, 5-2 at the Quillian Center on Saturday.
In singles action, Oregon's Manuel Kost earned the Ducks only singles win, defeating No. 28-ranked Alex Vlaski, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 at the No. 2 position.
The Ducks earned the doubles point, winning at No. 1 and No. 2. Oregon's duo of junior Oded Teig and freshman Sven Swinnen put away Ari Strasberg and Vlaski, 8-6 at No. 1. Oregon sophomore Martin Pawlowski and junior Jason Menke combined to down Washington's tandem of Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby at the No. 2 spot.
'It was a competitive match, but we didn't quite get it done. We're looking forward to getting to Ojai,' said Oregon head coach Chris Russell.
The Ducks finish the season with a ledger of 12-10, 0-7 in Pac-10 Conference play. The Huskies improve to 12-6, 3-4 in Pac-10 play. Up next for Oregon is the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., April 25-28.
No. 34 Washington 5, Oregon 2
Saturday, April 20, 2002
1. No. 57 Matt Hanlin (UW) d. Oded Teig (UO) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Manuel Kost (UO) d. No. 28 Alex Vlaski (UW) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Ari Strasberg (UW) d. Martin Pawlowski (UO) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) d. Sven Swinnen (UO) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
5. Peter Scharler (UW) d. Jason Menke (UO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Dillon Ruby (UW) d. Chris King (UO) 6-4, 6-1
1. Teig/Swinnen (UO) d. Strasberg/Vlaski (UW) 8-6
2. Pawlowski/Menke (UO) d. Hanlin/Ruby (UW) 8-5
3. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW) d. Kost/King (UO) 8-3