No. 5 UCLA Defeats No. 12 Cal, 6-1
April 20, 2002
Los Angeles - ï¿½ The No. 5-ranked UCLA women's tennis team closed out the 2002 regular season on a positive note Saturday, defeating No. 12 Cal, 6-1 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins finish the season with a 16-4 overall record and a 6-2 mark in Pac-10 play. Cal finishes its regular season 12-9 overall and 3-5 in conference action. UCLA will head to the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif. this weekend prior to finding out who it will play in the NCAA Regionals scheduled for May 10-12.
The Bruins started the day by winning the one point awarded for doubles play. Following a UCLA victory at No. 2 doubles and a Cal win in the No. 3 spot, the doubles point came down to the No. 1 position. UCLA's Petya Marinova and Sara Walker, ranked No. 2 in the country, fought off two match points at 5-7 down to come back and defeat Raquel Kops-Jones/Jody Scheldt, 9-7.
In sharp contrast to the very close doubles action, UCLA dominated singles play winning five of six matches. The Bruins registered victories on five courts, as Walker, Megan Bradley, Sarah Gregg and Catherine Hawley all turned in straight-set performances. Marinova was able to prevail in three sets, as she defeated Jieun Jacobs of Cal, 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 3 position.
With the Bruins ahead 6-0, Cal picked up its only point on the day at the No. 5 singles spot, where Carla Arguelles edged UCLA's Lauren Fisher, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3.
1. (2) Marinova/Walker (UCLA) def. (20) Kops-Jones/Scheldt (Cal) 9-7
2. (3) Bradley/Fisher (UCLA) def. (46) Fusano/Jacobs (Cal) 8-2
3. Arguelles/Havlicek (Cal) def. Mariko Fritz-Krockow/Gregg (UCLA) 8-2
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (8) Sara Walker (UCLA) def. (39) Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) 6-2, 6-1
2. (3) Megan Bradley (UCLA) def. (58) Christina Fusano (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
3. (71) Petya Marinova (UCLA) def. (74) Jieun Jacobs (Cal) 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
4. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) def. Jody Scheldt (Cal) 6-2, 6-4
5. Carla Arguelles (Cal) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA) 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
6. Catherine Hawley (UCLA) def. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) 7-5, 6-3