Men's Tennis Cruises Past Oral Roberts, 5-0, in First Round
May 11, 2002
Tulsa, Oklahoma -- The top-seeded and 11th-ranked USC Trojans men's tennis team needed just one hour and 37 minutes to eliminate Oral Roberts, 5-0, in the first round of the 2002 NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championships at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center at The University of Tulsa.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 20-5 overall this season and advance to the second round to face second-seeded and 24th-ranked Arkansas at noon on Sunday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
High winds in the Tulsa area forced the match to be moved to the inside courts at the Case Tennis Center. USC quickly claimed the doubles point with a win at the No. 2 position and with a pair simultaneous finishes at the No. 1 and 3 spots. USC's tandem of Ruben Torres and Teige Sullivan downed Oral Robert's duo of Matt Munson and Wessel Kemp, 8-2, while ninth-ranked Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore defeated Jared Welch and John Hixon, 8-1, at center court. At court three, Daniel Langre and Prakash Amritraj downed ORU's Eddie Paez and Kevin Garlington, 8-3.
In singles, all six of the Trojans lineup posted first set wins against the Golden Eagles. USC's Amritraj cruised past Hixon, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3 and Langre eased by Paez at No. 4, 6-4, 6-0, to put the Trojans ahead, 3-0. Two of the USC players finished at the same time to record the fourth and fifth points of the matchy. Rainey topped Kemp at No. 4, 6-1, 6-1, while Torres beat Garlington at No. 6, 6-1, 6-1.
NCAA First Round
#11 USC 5, Oral Roberts 0
(1) #9 Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Welch/Hixon (ORU) - 8-1
(2) Torres/Sullivan (USC) def. Munson/Kemp (ORU) - 8-2
(3) Langre/Amritraj (USC) def. Paez/Garlington (ORU) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #30 Andrew Park (USC) vs. Matt Munson (ORU) - Abandoned
(2) #87 Ryan Moore (USC) vs. Jared Welch (ORU) - Abandoned
(3) #85 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. John Hixon (ORU) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) #46 Nick Rainey (USC) def. Wessel Kemp (ORU) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Eddie Paez (ORU) - 6-4, 6-0
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Kevin Garlington (ORU) - 6-1, 6-1