NCAA Tennis First Round Results
May 11, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 39 Oregon women's tennis team upset No. 18 Nevada-Las Vegas, 4-2, to advance to the second round of the NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Tournament on Saturday at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium. The Ducks will advance to the NCAA Second Round for only the second time in program history (the first was in 1999 when Oregon defeated South Florida before falling to Stanford). Oregon will face the winner of the USC/Oral Roberts match-up on Sunday, May 12, at 1:30 p.m.
'I am really proud of our team for having defeated a ranked and very talented UNLV team,' said Oregon sixth-year head coach Jack Griffin. 'This was a huge goal of ours at the start of the season and we knew it was going to be tough. Today we started with great play from our doubles teams and at the end, Courtney Nagle never gave up to get us the win. This was just a really great effort from our team and a great win for our program.'
Oregon began the morning by winning two-of-three doubles matches to clinch the first point. The Ducks earned wins at courts one and two as Daria Panova/Janice Nyland defeated UNLV's Gyorgyi Zsiros/Marianne Bakken, 8-4, and Davina Mendiburu/Courtney Nagle followed with an 8-6 win over Paulina Janus/Agnieszka Abram at center court.
The Rebels evened the match up in singles play by grabbing their first point at No. 2 as Zsiros defeated the Ducks' Monika Gieczys, 6-3, 6-1. Oregon reclaimed a 3-1 lead with two-set wins at the No. 1 and 5 spots and seemed to be nearing a match victory before UNLV pushed the remaining three matches to a third set. The Rebels' Tracie Chong defeated Vickie Gunnarsson at No. 4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, to bring the team within one (3-2) as play continued on courts three and six. Down 4-1 in the third set, Oregon's Nagle managed to contain UNLV's Bakkan and climbed back to win the final set and clinch the match for the Ducks with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victory at No. 6.
NCAA First Round
Los Angeles, Calif.
#39 Oregon def. #18 UNLV - 4-2
(1) Nagle/Mendiburu (Oregon) def. Janus/Abram (UNLV) - 8-6
(2) Nyland/Panova (Oregon) def. Zsiros/Bakken (UNLV) - 8-4
(3) Gunnarsson/Gieczys (Oregon) vs. Chong/Oosthuizen (UNLV) - 6-3, suspended
Oregon wins doubles point.
(1) #88 Daria Panova (Oregon) def. #102 Paulina Janus (UNLV) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) #97 Gyorgyi Zsiros (UNLV) def. Monika Gieczys (Oregon) - 6-3, 6-1
(3) #112 Janice Nyland (Oregon) vs. Agnieszka Abram (UNLV) - 6-4, 4-6, 1-1 suspended
(4) Tracie Chong (UNLV) def. Vickie Gunnarsson (Oregon) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
(5) Davina Mendiburu (Oregon) def. Leentjie Oosthuizen (UNLV) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Courtney Nagle (Oregon) def. Marianne Bakken (UNLV) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive