No. 10 Cal Smashes UMBC, 4-0, Advances to NCAA Regional Final
May 11, 2002
DURHAM, N.C. - The 10th-ranked California men's tennis team (19-6) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday with a 4-0 sweep of The University of Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC, 18-8) at the Ambler Tennis Stadium on the campus of Duke University. The Golden Bears advance to meet No. 17 Duke on Sunday at 1:00 PM EST.
In doubles action, California got off to a quick start as the duo of Balazs Veress/Patrick Briaud downed Brandon Ferguson/Navy Tran, 8-1, in only 28 minutes. The Bears then took an 8-4 victory at number two to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Cal's tandem of Conor Niland/Ben Miles knocked off Luis Baraldi/Mikhail Kouznetsov, 8-4.
California kept rolling in singles as the Bears took the number five slot as Wayne Wong downed Chris Cetateanu, 6-0, 6-2, to take a 2-0 lead. Then, California picked up singles wins at number two and number four to capture the 4-0 team victory. The Bears' 81st-ranked Veress registered a 6-2, 6-2 win over Eric Nudo at the second slot and Robert Kowalczyk posted the match-clinching victory with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Dimitri Bondar for California.
The victor of tomorrow's Cal-Duke match-up will advance to the NCAA Championships, which begins with the Round of 16 on Saturday, May 18 at Texas A&M University.
BEAR NOTES: California assistant coach Lan Bale has been honored with the ITA's Division VIII Assistant Coach of the Year award, the ITA announced on Thursday. Bale will then be eligible to receive the national Assistant Coach of the Year title, which will be announced next week. Bale, a native of South Africa, coaches a Cal team which had its highest Pac-10 finish ever in 2002 (5-2, T2nd).
No. 10 California (19-6) 4, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (18-8), 0
1. #13 John Paul Fruttero (Cal) vs. Joe Novotny (UMBC) DNF
2. #81 Balazs Veress (Cal) vs. Eric Nudo (UMBC) 6-2, 6-2
3. #84 Conor Niland (Cal) vs. Mikhail Kouznetsov (UMBC) DNF
4. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) vs. Dimitri Bondar (UMBC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Wayne Wong (Cal) def. Chris Cetateanu (UMBC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Mik Ledvonova (Cal) vs. Luis Baraldi (UMBC) DNF
1. #12 John Paul Fruttero/Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) vs. Joe Novotny/Eric Nudo (UMBC)
2. Conor Niland/Ben Miles (Cal) def. Luis Baraldi/Mikhail Kouznetsov (UMBC) 8-4
3. Balazs Veress/Patrick Briaud (Cal) def. Brandon Ferguson/Navy Tran (UMBC) 8-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
Tue 5/22 | 6:00pm PTLive