No. 10 Women's Tennis Shuts Out SW Missouri State, 4-0; No. 19 Arizona Edges San Diego State, 4-3 In NCAA First Round Regional
May 11, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 10th-ranked Arizona State women's tennis team (14-7) shutout Southwest Missouri State (16-7), winning two doubles matches and three singles matches for the 4-0 win today at the Whiteman tennis Center in Tempe, Arizona. Arizona State will next face Arizona in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tennis Regional on Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.
The Sun Devils began well in doubles with Mhairi Brown and Cindy Sureephong defeating SMS's Laura Alvarez and Oyuki Cruz, 8-6. Right behind them on the No. 3 court were fellow Sun Devils' Lauren Colalillo and Megan Yeats, sealing the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Maria Amato and Marta Rubina.
In singles play, Arizona State quickly ended the dual with three straight set victories at the No's. 2, 4 and 6 courts. Joslynn Burkett ended first with a 6-1, 6-0 win over SMS's Laura Alvarez, while Sureephong was next, defeating Rubina, 6-1, 6-1. Sealing the victory for the Sun Devils was Dora Krstulovic with another straight sets victory over Oyuki Cruz, 6-2, 6-0.
1. (17) Adria Engel (ASU) vs. Ia Zozrashvili (SMS), DNF
2. (27) Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Oyuki Cruz (SMS) 6-2, 6-0
3. (75) Mhairi Brown (ASU) vs. Maria Amato (SMS), DNF
4. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Marta Rubina (SMS) 6-1, 6-1
5. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) vs. Laura Miller (SMS), DNF
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. Laura Alvarez (SMS) 6-1, 6-0
1. (11) Engel/ Krstulovic (ASU) vs. Cassandra Godfrey (SMS), DNF
2. Brown/ Sureephong (ASU) def. Alvarez/ Cruz (SMS) 8-6
3. Colalillo/ Megan Yeats (ASU) def Amato/ Rubina (SMS) 8-4
TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona's Debbie Larocque pulled out a three set win over San Diego State's Lindsey Hedberg to cap a come from behind, 4-3, win today in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tennis Regional held at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Arizona.
Arizona (12-10) opened dual by winning two of the three doubles matches over San Diego State (18-9) for the first point. Then ninth-ranked Arizona duo of Larocque and Maja Mlakar ended first on the No. 1 court with an 8-3 win over Katja Karrento and Katalina Romero. The Wildcats clinched the point on the No. 3 court where Dianne Hollands and Brooke Taylor downed SDSU's Julie Anna Childley and Hedberg, 8-4. The No. 2 doubles did not finish, as the outcome was already determined.
In singles action, SDSU pulled even when Romero quickly dispatched UA's Perrine Pernin on the No. 4 court, 6-3, 6-0. UA went back up 2-1 when 19th-ranked Mlakar won in straight sets over Silvia Tornier, 6-4, 6-3. The Aztecs then pushed their lead to 3-2 with singles wins at the No. 5 and 6 slots, but UA pulled back even again when Hollands defeated Karrento on the No. 3 court, 6-4, 6-1. That's when all eyes turned to the No. 2 court to watch Larocque come from a set down to take the final two from Hedberg and clinch the dual, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Arizona now moves on to the second round and face the winner of this afternoon's dual against 10th-ranked and host Arizona State and Southwest Missouri State. The second round match is scheduled for Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
1. (19) Maja Mlakar (UA) def. (69) Silvia Tornier (SDSU), 6-4, 6-3
2. (59) Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. (106) Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Katja Karrento (SDSU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Katalina Romero (SDSU) def. Perrine Pernin (UA), 6-3, 6-0
5. Katey Clark-Becker (SDSU) def. Marie-Pier Pouliot (UA), 6-2, 6-2
6. Julie Anna Childley (SDSU) def. Daniela Torres (UA), 6-2, 6-4
1. (9) Larocque/Mlakar (UA) def. Karreno/Romero (SDSU), 8-3
2. Laresa Marino/Pouliot (UA) vs. Indra Erichsen/Tornier (SDSU), DNF
3. Hollands/Brooke Taylor (UA) def. Childley/Hedberg (SDSU), 8-4