Trojans Advance With 4-0 Win Over Arkansas
May 12, 2002
Tulsa, Okla. -- The 11th-ranked USC Trojans men's tennis team advanced to the 2002 NCAA Tennis Round of 16 with a 4-0 win over 24th-ranked Arkansas in the second round of the NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championships at the Michael D. Case Center in Tulsa, Okla.
With the win, USC improves to 21-5 overall this season and advances to the NCAA Round of 16 for the third straight season. The Trojans will head to 2002 NCAA Championships in College Station, Texas, May 18-21. The Razorbacks conclude the 2002 season with a 15-10 overall record.
The match began outside in windy conditions. USC's ninth-ranked doubles combination of Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey disposed of Arkansas' 54th-ranked team of Oggie Kolev and Aleksey Bubis, 8-3, at the No. 1 position. The Trojans secured the doubles point when it's No. 2 tandem of Ruben Torres and Teige Sullivan outdueled the Hogs duo of Magnus Kullenberg and Eduardo Pacheco, 8-6.
In singles and with USC leading the match, 1-0, a steady rainfall combined with the windy conditions forced the contest indoors. The Trojans made the most of the indoor environment by capturing each of the first sets in all six singles matches. With momentum favoring USC, the Trojans one-by-one put away any hopes of a Razorback rally.
USC's Daniel Langre topped Bubis at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-4, to give USC a 2-0 lead. Moments later, Prakash Amritraj recorded a, 6-1, 6-3, decision over Kullenberg at No. 3. Although Arkansas attempting comebacks at the No. 1, 2 and 3 spots, Torres clinched the match at No. 6 with his 6-2, 6-4, come-from-behind win in the second set over UA's Kristofer Ivarsson.
NCAA Second Round
#11 USC 4, #24 Arkansas 0
(1) #9 Moore/Rainey (USC) def. #54 Kolev/Bubis (Ark) - 8-3
(2) Torres/Teige Sullivan (USC) def. Kullenberg/Pacheco (Ark) - 8-6
(3) Langre/Amritraj (USC) vs. Price/Tiago Azevedo (Ark) - abandoned
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #30 Andrew Park (USC) vs. #35 Oggie Kolev (Ark) - abandoned
(2) #87 Ryan Moore (USC) vs. #92 Nathan Price (Ark) - abandoned
(3) #85 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #116 Magnus Kullenberg (Ark) - 6-1, 6-3
(4) #46 Nick Rainey (USC) vs. Eddie Pacheco (Ark) - Abandoned
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Aleksey Bubis (Ark) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Kristofer Ivarsson (Ark) - 6-2, 6-2