UCLA Women and Men's Teams Win Big Wave Cross Country Invitational in Hawaii
Sept. 22, 2002
UCLA's men won the nine-team men's field with a point total of 24, ahead of second-place Hawaii Pacific (59) and third-place Mt. San Antonio College (60). UCLA sophomore Jon Rankin (Spring Valley/Monte Vista HS), running his first race in over a year, won the men's 5000m individual event, in a time of 16:03.5.
Eric Peterson's women and men's cross country teams on Saturday (Sept. 21) won the Big Wave Invitational, held on the North Shore of Oahu at Kualoa Ranch and hosted by the University of Hawaii. Both the women and men's races were 5000m.
The Bruin women, ranked No. 11 in the nation this week (the highest ranking ever by a Bruin women's cross country team), won the 13-team women's race with 46 points, ahead of second-place Hawaii (88) and third-place Oklahoma State (89).
Rankin, who redshirted all of last season with leg stress ailments, looks to be regaining the competitive form he displayed as a true freshman in 2001, when he won the 1500m at the U. S. Junior meet. Joining Rankin in the Top 10 for the Bruin men were - sophomore Ben Aragon (Santee/West Hills) in fourth-place (16:26.1), sophomore Erik Emilsson (Bjarred, Sweden) in sixth place (16:31.4), senior Phil Young (La Canada HS) in seventh-place (16:54.7) and sophomore Puneet Mahan (Norwalk HS) in ninth-place (17:06.1). Emilsson was running his first race as a Bruin. He transferred to UCLA this summer from Tulane.
UCLA had four runners place in the Top 10, led by true freshman Jenna Timinsky (Encinitas/San Dieguito Academy) who placed seventh over the 5000m course in a time of 19:14.8. Also placing in the Top 10 for the Bruin women were - sophomore Lori Mann (Coto de Caza/Santa Margarita Catholic) in eighth-place (19:15.0), sophomore Alejandra Barrientos (Felton/San Lorenzo Valley) in ninth-place (19:18.4) and sophomore Carmen Winant (Philadelphia, PA/Germantown Friends) in 10th-place (19:20.3).
Both Bruin teams will compete this Saturday (Sept. 28) at the Stanford Invitational, hosting some of the top teams in the nation.
Big Wave Cross Country Invitational
Sept. 21, 2002
North Shore of Oahu/Kualoa Ranch
Hosted by the University of Hawaii
Men's Team Scoring (Top 5 of 9 teams)
1. UCLA 24, 2. Hawaii Pacific 59, 3. Mt. San Antonio College 60, 4. San Francisco 125, 5. BYU-Hawaii 127.
UCLA Men Individually
1. Jon Rankin, UCLA, 16:03.5; 4. Ben Aragon, 16:26.1; 6. Erik Emilsson, 16:31.4; 7. Phil Young, 16:54.7; 9. Puneet Mahan, 17:06.1; 11. Martell Munguia, 17:15.4; 12. Nick De Felice, 17:19.8; 14. Nick Thornton, 17:31.1.
Women's Team Scoring (Top 5 of 13 teams)
1. UCLA 46, 2. Hawaii 88, 3. Oklahoma State 89, 4. San Diego State 106, 5. Hawaii Pacific 117.
Women's Top 5 Individuals (5000m)
1. Nina Christensen, HPU, 18:41.9; 2. Victoria Chang, UH, 18:44.5; 3. Sayuri Kusutani, HPU, 18:47.6; 4. Ami Butler, OSU, 19:04.3; 5. Hanna Bremler, UH, 19:08.0
UCLA's Women Individually
7. Jenna Timinsky, 19:14.8; 8. Lori Mann, 19:15.0; 9. Alejandra Barrientos, 19:18.4, 10. Carmen Winant, 19:20.3; 12. Melissa McBain, 19:44.1; 15. Carolyn Shea, 19:52.0; 16. Laura Muller, 19:57.4; 18. Allison Hall, 20:07.4; 20. Sarah West, 20:15.7; 31. Jessica Marr, 20:47.8.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive