Arizona Women's Tennis Competes in first day of Fall Desert Classic
Nov. 9, 2002
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - The Arizona Women's tennis team completed the first day of play Friday at the Fall Desert Classic in Palm Springs, Calif. Competing in main singles for the Wildcats were junior Debbie Larocque, sophomores Kelly Perry and Dianne Hollands, and freshman Kristy Randono.
In the first round of singles action, Larocque defeated Santa Clara's Mariko Kawakami, 6-0, 6-2. Larocque went on to defeat LMU's Jennifer Baker, 7-5, 6-1, in the second round.
Hollands won her first match against Janelle Kaloi of Santa Clara, 6-1,6-1. She also defeated her second-round opponent, UCLA's Sarah Gregg, 6-1, 6-2.
Perry was defeated in the first round by UCLA's Anya Loncaric, 6-3, 7-6. In the second round of the consolation draw, she defeated Macey Breece of Texas, 6-3, 3-2.
Randono was defeated in the first round of singles play by Christine Limbers of Santa Clara, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. She also lost her second-round match against Michelle Krinke of Texas, 6-1, 6-3.
In doubles action, Hollands and Perry teamed up for the first time to defeat UCLA's duo of Anya Loncaric and Laura Gordon, 8-2. Larocque and Randono also paired up for the first time in competition, but fell to Tereza Simonyan and Rani Setiawati of Cal State Northridge, 8-5.
The Wildcat women's tennis team will continue play Saturday and Sunday at the Fall Desert Classic.
- ### -
Singles (First Round)
1. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Mariko Kawakami (Santa Clara), 6-0, 6-2
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Janelle Kaloi (Santa Clara), 6-1, 6-1
3. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-3, 7-6
4. Christine Limbers (Santa Clara) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
Singles (Main Second Round)
1. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Jennifer Baker (LMU), 7-5, 6-1
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA), 6-1, 6-2
Singles (Consolation Second Round)
1. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Macey Breece (Texas), 6-3, 6-2
2. Michelle Krinke (Texas) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 6-1, 6-3
Doubles (First Round)
1. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Loncaric/Gordon (UCLA), 8-2
2. Simonyan/Setiawati (CS Northridge) def. Larocque/Randono (UA), 8-5