Upperclassmen Dominate Pair Head Races
Nov. 9, 2002
SEATTLE - The senior duo of Adrienne Hunter and Carrie Stasiak won the women's event by 40 seconds while John Lorton and Sam Burns claimed the men's title Saturday morning at Washington's annual Pair Head races on Lake Washington.
Hunter and Stasiak, who were both members of the Huskies' 2002 national champion varsity eight crew, completed the 4,800-meter course in 20-minutes, 57.4-seconds. The pair of senior Lauren Estevenin and sophomore Sanda Hangan posted a second-place time of 21:37.9 followed by Jessica Harm and Erin Curry in 21:40.6.
Lorton and Burns clocked a time of 18:58.6 to win the men's race. The duo of Dusan Nikolic and Marko Petrovic finished six seconds back with a second-place time of 19:04.6. Ante Kusurin and Kevin Smythe placed third in 19:20.8.
The Pair Head event was essentially an intra-squad affair with Husky teammates grouped in numerous duos with no four- or eight-oared events included on the racing card. Five boats from Washington State participated in the women's event. The top Cougar pair, Naomi Turnbull and Emily Tribe, finished fifth overall in 21:57.8.
The same course will be used tomorrow when the fall rowing season concludes with the Head of the Lake Regatta. Racing begins at 8 a.m. for the 53-race regatta that is co-hosted by the Huskies and the Lake Washington Rowing Club.
The races start at the north end of Lake Union, continue through Portage Bay and the Montlake Cut into Union Bay, where a wide 180 degree turn points boats toward the finish line, near the Huskies' Conibear Shellhouse.
The 'head' races are a break from the straight, 2,000-meter courses customarily contested by collegians. Teams begin from a single-file line with boats starting at approximately 15-second intervals apart. There will be brief breaks between events of approximately one minute.
Joining the Huskies a the Head of the Lake competition will be collegiate crews from Washington State, Oregon State, Stanford, UC San Diego, Texas, Michigan State, Gonzaga, and Western Washington. This event showcases collegiate rowers, as well as junior and masters rowers. The 53 races scheduled range from single sculls, doubles and fours to eight-oared crews. The featured events are the men's and women's open eight's and the men's and women's open single. They will be the concluding events of the regatta.
The Husky rowers have competed in two other head races this fall, including the Portland Loop competition last weekend (Nov. 2). Washington swept all four featured events on the Willamette River, claiming varsity and junior varsity eight championships in both the men's and women's divisions.
The Washington women competed Oct. 20 at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston. They were the top NCAA finishers, placing fourth overall.
This weekend's races complete Washington's brief fall racing season. The Huskies, who are celebrating their 100th season of competition, begin winter training next week in preparation for the upcoming spring season. The 2003 season gets underway March 29 with the annual Class Day Regatta.
PAIR HEAD RACE RESULTS
Lake Washington; Seattle, Wash.
Nov. 9, 2002
Women's Pair Results
1. Adrienne Hunter/Carrie Stasiak, UW, 20:57.4
2. Lauren Estevenin/Sanda Hangan, UW, 21:37.9
3. Jessica Harm/Erin Curry, UW, 21:40.6
4. Courtney Matson/Gemma Edward-Aron, UW, 21:50.3
5. Naomi Turnbull/Emily Tribe, WSU, 21:57.8
6. Signe Johannes/Lisa Krikava, UW, 22:02.5
7. Catherine Lortie/Amber McKnight, WSU, 22:16.9
8. Mary Reeves/Ilia Ash, UW, 22:24.6
9. Jamie Orth/TristenCurtis, WSU, 22:58.3
10. Katherine Ramos/Lindsay Schwarz, UW, 23:07.9
11. Erin Patterson/Corrie McGrath, WSU, 23:10.7
12. Kasia Bloch/Audra Durfey, WSU, 23:37.4
13. Nicole Mazikowski/Michael Kohan, UW, 23:37.4
Men's Pair Results (all UW boats)
1. John Lorton/Sam Burns, 18:58.6
2. Dusan Nikolic/Marko Petrovic, 19:04.6
3. Ante Kusurin/Kevin Smythe, 19:20.8
4. Evan Galloway/Gavin Grant, 19:30.7
5. Martin Rogulia/Charles Minett, 19:31.5
6. Ian Sawyer/Andy Derrick, 19:35.1
7. Bill Liston/Matt Kopicky, 19:38.0
8. Giuseppe Lanzone/Kyle Larson, 19:43.5
9. Jeff Jorgenson/John Taylor, 20:02.6
10. Gints Salaks/Morgan West, 23:04.2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive