Women's Tennis Starts Season With 7-0 Win
Jan. 22, 2003
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The 11th-ranked USC women's tennis team opened the 2003 season with a shutout of Cal Poly, 7-0, Wednesday (Jan 22) at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, USC starts the year 1-0, while the Mustangs fall to 1-2.
The Women of Troy won two-of-three doubles matches to capture the first point of the afternoon. At center court, Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola collected the first win by taking care of the Mustangs' Danielle Hustedt and Kate Romm 8-2. They were followed by an 8-5 win at court No. 2 as Tiffany Brymer and Maureen Diaz defeated Samantha Waller and Teresa Galido.
USC's Magnani and Melissa Esmero began singles play with victories at the No. 1 and 5 spots to put the Trojans ahead, 3-0. The Trojans secured the win after Diaz put away Chelsey Thompson on court No. 3, 6-2, 6-2. USC won the remaining three matches in tie breakers.
The Women of Troy return to action on Friday, January 24, when they host UC Irvine at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#11 USC 7, Cal Poly 0
(1) #40 Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Hustedt/Romm (Cal Poly) - 8-2
(2) Brymer/Diaz (USC) def. Waller/Galido (Cal Poly) - 8-5
(3) Grady/Thompson (Cal Poly) def. Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point
(1) Luana Magnani (USC) def. #62 Danielle Hustedt (Cal Poly) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #103 Anita Loyola (USC) def. Samantha Waller (Cal Poly) - 6-2, 4-6, (10-6)
(3) #55 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Chelsey Thompson (Cal Poly) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Kristen Grady (Cal Poly) - 6-4, 4-6, (11-9)
(5) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Kate Romm (Cal Poly) - 6-0, 6-1
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Shelia Lewis (Cal Poly) - 7-6, 4-6, (10-8)