Arizona Women's Tennis Defeats San Diego in Season Opener, 6-1
Jan. 23, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The University of Arizona women's tennis team opened its season Thursday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center with a 6-1 win over San Diego. The Wildcat women won five of six singles matches and two of three doubles matches.
In the No. 1 spot, graduate student Emilie Scribot defeated San Diego freshman Emma Murphy, 6-4, 7-6. 'Emilie is a tough player. She loves to compete,' said Arizona head coach Vicky Maes. 'I'm going to count on her every time she steps on the court.'
Playing in the second spot, sophomore Dianne Hollands won her match against Lauren Perl, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
Sophomore Maja Mlakar, playing in the third position, defeated USD's Tara Livesay, 6-4, 6-3.
In the fourth spot, junior Debbie Larocque won her match versus Catherine Heppell, 6-3, 6-2.
Sophomore Kelly Perry, competing in the fifth position, defeated Lauren Kazarian, 6-3, 6-4.
In the sixth spot, freshman and newcomer Zorica Zasova was defeated by San Diego's Jennifer Brown, 6-3, 6-4.
In doubles play, Scribot and Mlakar teamed up for Arizona, defeating USD's duo of Kazarian and Brown, 8-2. Larocque and Zasova were defeated by Murphy and Livesay, 8-4. Arizona's duo of Hollands and Perry also won their match against Perl and Heppell, 8-3, giving Arizona the doubles point.
The Arizona women's tennis team will next be in action Friday, Jan. 24, when the Wildcats take on the Marquette Golden Eagles at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. Action begins at 1:30 p.m.
1. Emilie Scribot (UA) def. Emma Murphy (USD), 6-4, 7-6
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Lauren Perl (USD), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Tara Livesay (USD), 6-4, 6-3
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Catherine Heppell (USD), 6-3, 6-2
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Lauren Kazarian (USD), 6-3, 6-4
6. Jennifer Brown (USD) def. Zorica Zasova (UA), 6-3, 6-4
1. Scribot/Mlakar (UA) def. Kazarian/Brown (USD), 8-2
2. Murphy/Livesay (USD) def. Larocque/Zasova (UA), 8-4
3. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Perl/Heppell (USD), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive