Men's Tennis Beats Both BYU And Fresno State In Doubleheader
Jan. 25, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The defending national champion USC men's tennis team opened the 2003 dual match season by beating both BYU, 7-0, and Fresno State, 4-3, in a doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 25, at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the two victories, the Trojans begin the season 2-0, while BYU and Fresno State both drop to 1-2.
In the first of three doubleheaders scheduled this season, USC started the day by sweeping the Cougars. USC won all three doubles matches for the first point, including an upset victory at center court as Prakash Amritraj and Daniel Langre defeated BYU's seventh-ranked Carlos Lozano and Erik Nyman, 9-7. The Trojans finished the match by winning all six singles matches in straight sets.
Fresno State proved to be a bigger challenge for USC as the second match of the day. The Trojans again captured the doubles point with wins at all three courts for a 1-0 lead. USC grabbed a quick victory at No. 3 singles when Langre defeated the Bulldogs' Danny O'Rourke, 6-4, 6-3, to go ahead 2-0, but watched as Fresno State won at No. 5 and sent the four remaining matches into a third set. In the end, it was Ruben Torres who clinched the victory for the Trojans by defeating Alex Krohn, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, at court No. 4.
USC will return to action on Monday, Jan. 27, when it hosts UC Santa Barbara at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#7 USC def. #64 BYU, 7-0
(1) Amritraj/Langre (USC) def. #7 Lozano/Nyman (BYU) - 9-7
(2) Brian Wright/Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) - 8-1
(3) Berg/Collins (USC) def. Medina/Olsen (BYU) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #106 Carlos Lozano (BYU) - 6-3, 7-6
(2) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. Erik Nyman (BYU) - 6-3, 7-6
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Jose Luis Lechuga (BYU) - 6-1, 6-2
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) Parker Collins (USC) def. Alonso Medina (BYU) - 6-2, 7-6
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU) - 6-3, 6-3
#7 USC def. #60 Fresno State, 4-3
(1) Amritraj/Langre (USC) def. Shearer/O'Rourke (FSU) - 8-3
(2) Brian Wright/Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Sinn/Merdoc (FSU) - 8-6
(3) Berg/Collins (USC) def. Suta/Krohn (FSU) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Stefan Suta (FSU) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
(2) Greg Shearer (FSU) def. #75 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Danny O'Rourke (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Alex Krohn (FSU) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
(5) Sergui Merdoc (FSU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(6) Marc Schaerer (FSU) def. Scott Patterson (USC) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/28 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/29 | 4:30pm PTLive