No. 21 Washington Women's Tennis Upsets No. 12 Northwestern 4-3
Jan. 25, 2003
SEATTLE - The 21st-ranked Washington women's tennis team (2-0) won two out of three doubles matches and three out of six singles matches to upset No. 12 Northwestern (2-1) 4-3, in the second day of back to back matches for the Huskies at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Clair Carter, who played in the No. 1 position against Christelle Grier, fell, 6-4, 7-6 (3), 6-3. In the No. 2 position Husky Danja Klaic downed Jessica Rush in straight sets 6-3, 6-1. Also winning in straight sets, Dea Sumantri defeated Jamie Peisel 6-2, 7-5 in the No. 3 position earning the clinch.
In the No. 4 position UW's Colleen Gray fell to Andrea Yung 6-2, 6-2. Erin Boisclair downed Ruth Barnes in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 5 position and Erin Hoe lost to Stacy Kokx 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 6 position.
In doubles play, the Huskies duo of Carter & Klaic posted a victory in the No. 1 position to clinch the match over Grier & Rush 8-6. In the No. 2 position UW's Gray & Sumantri defeated Kokx & Peisel 8-4, but the UW doubles team of Boisclari & Hoe wasn't as successful, falling to Yung & Barnes 8-4 in the No. 3 position.
The Huskies will hit the road next weekend to compete in the Minnesota Invitational Saturday Feb. 1 and Sunday Feb. 2.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Northwestern
January 25, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
Washington 4, Northwestern 3
1. (16) Christelle Grier (NU) def. (80) Claire Carter (UW) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. (42) Darija Klaic (UW) def. (63) Jessica Rush (NU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Jamie Peisel (NU) 6-2, 7-5 (clinch)
4. Andrea Yung (NU) def. Colleen Gray (UW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Ruth Barnes (NU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stacy Kokx (NU) def. Erin Hoe (UW) 7-5, 6-2
1. (3) Claire Carter & Darija Klaic (UW) def. (23) Christelle Grier (NU) 8-6 (clinch)
2. Colleen Gray & Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Stacy Kokx & Jamie Peisel (NU) 8-4
3. Andrea Yung & Ruth Barnes (NU) 8-4 def. Erin Boisclair & Erin Hoe (UW) 8-4