Men's Tennis Hands Santa Clara 6-1 Loss
Jan. 26, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (1-0) opened the 2003 campaign with a decisive 6-1 victory over Santa Clara (1-2) this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The dual win also marked Head Coach Lou Belken's 250th career win and the 600th win in Arizona State history.
The Sun Devils got out of the gate quickly by taking two of the three doubles matches for the first point. ASU's No. 2 team of Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele were first off as they won easily with an 8-0 win over Santa Clara's Rick Ruso and Francisco Zepponi. The Devils Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart, the nation's 17th-ranked team, won the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over SC's Michael Buggemann and Erich Chen. The Broncos did take the No. 3 doubles as Taylor Bedilion and Federico Mattioli defeated ASU's Ryan McBride and Jonathan Stott, 8-2.
In singles action, ASU won five of the six matches all in straight sets. Van Mele was first off on the No. 2 court with an easy 6-1, 6-0 win over Zepponi, while Charroin quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Chen on the No. 1 court. The Devils clinched the dual when Letcher also won in straight sets on the No. 4 court over SC's Mattioli, 6-4, 6-2. Ryan Eveloff gave the Devils their fifth point with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 victory over Ruso, while McBride capped the dual with a 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (5) win over Ben Hidalgo. The Broncos gained their lone win on the No. 5 court late in the dual when Bedilion defeated Stewart in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
Up next, the Devils will travel to Fort Worth, Texas to compete in the TCU Quad, February 1-2. Besides ASU, other teams competing in the quad include host TCU, Washington and Pepperdine. ASU will open the quad against Pepperdine.
1. (17) Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Bruggemann/Chen (SC) 8-3
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Ruso/Zepponi (SC) 8-0
3. Bedilion/Mattioli (SC) def. McBride/Stott (ASU) 8-2
1. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Erich Chen (SC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Federico Mattioli (SC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Taylor Bedilion (SC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
5. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) def. Rick Ruso (SC) 7-6 (3), 6-3
6. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Ben Hidalgo (SC) 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (5)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive