Stanford Advances To Quarterfinals At National Team Indoor Championships
Feb. 6, 2003
Madison, Wis. - The top-ranked Stanford women's tennis team defeated Wisconsin, 7-0, on Thursday afternoon in the first round of the 2003 USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal advance to the quarterfinals and will face rival California tomorrow afternoon.
Stanford clinched the doubles point with wins from the eighth-ranked duo Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA) at the top position and Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) and Amber Liu (La Mesa, CA) at the second spot. Both teams recorded 8-2 victories over their Wisconsin doubles teams.
Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, WA) picked up the first singles win for the Cardinal, 6-1, 6-1 over Wisconsin's Teresa Gonzaga at No. 6. Barnes followed with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at the fourth position, and Barnikow clinched the match by defeating Linde Mues in three sets (4-6, 6-3, 6-3).
Liu captured her first win in dual action as the Cardinal's top singles player, cruising to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Shana McElroy. Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Burdette completed Stanford's sweep of Wisconsin with wins at No. 5 and 3, respectively.
Stanford will face Cal tomorrow in the quarterfinals at 3:30 CT.
No. 1 Stanford 7, Wisconsin 0
(1) Lauren Barnikow / Erin Burdette (STAN) def. McGaffigan/Mues (UW) --- 8-2
(2) Alice Barnes / Amber Liu (STAN) def. McElroy/Vojnov (UW) --- 8-2
(3) Gonzaga/Martin (UW) def. Emilia Anderson / Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) --- 8-5
(1) Amber Liu (STAN) def. Shana McElroy (UW) --- 6-1, 6-3
(2) Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Linde Mues (UW) --- 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
(3) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Katie McGaffigan (UW) --- 6-2, 6-4
(4) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Lindsay Martin (UW) --- 6-2, 6-3
(5) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Lara Vojnov (UW) --- 7-6 (5), 6-2
(6) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Teresa Gonzaga (UW) --- 6-1, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive