Women's Tennis Sweeps Past Sacramento State
Feb. 7, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 49 Oregon women's tennis team defeated No. 75 Sacramento State, 7-0, at the Student Tennis Center Friday night. The Ducks (4-1) pushed their overall winning streak to four matches following a season-opening loss at Colorado.
The Ducks got off to a 1-0 overall lead by sweeping the doubles play. Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova won a back-and-forth match at No. 1 doubles, 9-8. Monika Gieczys and Julie Merle remained unbeaten together in doubles play at No. 2, winning 8-6. At No. 3 doubles, freshmen Anna Leksinska and Jamie Marshall also stayed unbeaten in doubles play, winning 8-2.
In singles play, Oregon was able to win all six matches, five in straight sets. The only match to go to three sets was between No. 28 Daria Panova of Oregon and No. 51 Margarita Karnaukhova. Panova trailed 3-2 in the third set before rallying to win the final four games of the match and finish off the sweep, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
Senior captain Monika Gieczys earned the clinching point at No. 3 singles, winning in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2, following wins already off the court by Julie Merle at No. 4 and Jamie Marshall at No. 5.
Oregon will face Pacific at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Student Tennis Center. The women's match will be followed by the men's team playing Portland at 5 p.m.
No. 49 Oregon defeats No. 75 Sacramento State, 7-0.
1. No. 28 Daria Panova (O) def. No. 51 Margarita Karnaukhova (S), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Courtney Nagle (O) def. Roberta Fessenko (S), 6-3, 6-3
3. Monika Gieczys (O) def. Ann Roslund (S), 7-5, 6-2
4. Julie Merle (O) def. Petra Abraham (S), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jamie Marshall (O) def. Amanda Sanches (S), 6-2, 6-0
6. Anna Leksinska (O) def. Cristina Rivieccio (S), 6-3, 7-5
1. Nagle/Panova (O) def. Karnaukhova/Roslund (S), 9-8
2. Gieczys/Merle (O) def. Fessenko/Sanches (S), 8-6
3. Leksinska/Marshall (O) def. Abraham/Rivieccio (S), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive