Men's Tennis Eases Past Cal Poly, 6-1
Feb. 8, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The No. 7-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, 6-1, on Saturday to improve to 4-2 overall this season. The Trojans, playing without sophomore Prakash Amritraj at No. 1 singles and doubles, eased past the Mustangs.
'This is exactly the kind of effort we needed from this team after two disappointing losses,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'To be able to come out and beat a quality opponent like Cal Poly is great for our team.'
USC started the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches, while holding Cal Poly to only four points at the No. 1 and 2 positions.
With a 1-0 lead, the Trojans claimed two-set victories at the top three singles spots and at No. 6 to secure the victory. Parker Collins posted USC's final point as he fought for a 10-6 win in the tiebreaker to beat Davey Jones at No. 4, 6-2, 3-6, 10-6.
The Mustangs only win came at No. 5 as Stacy Meronoff came from behind to defeat Jeff Kazarian, 5-7, 6-1, 11-9.
#7 USC 6, Cal Poly 1
(1) Berg/Collins (USC) def. Jones/Van Linge (CP) - 8-3
(2) Langre/Torres (USC) def. Levy/Tracy (CP) - 8-1
(3) Kazarian/Livingston (USC) def. Crawford/Leight (CP) - 8-5USC wins doubles point.
(1) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. Brett Van Linge (CP) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Nick Tracy (CP) - 6-1, 6-4
(3) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Mike Marquez (CP) - 6-0, 6-3
(4) Parker Collins (USC) def. Davey Jones (CP) - 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
(5) Stacy Meronoff (CP) def. Jeff Kazarian (USC) - 5-7, 6-1, 11-9
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Greg Levy (CP) - 7-5, 6-4
Wed 10/25 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 2:30pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 4:30pm PTLive