Men's Tennis Sweeps the Portland Pilots
Feb. 8, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 72 Oregon men's tennis team returned home and won its third straight match, this time against Portland, 7-0. The Ducks (4-1) and Pilots played several tight matches in singles play, but Oregon came out on top in every match.
Oregon took a 1-0 overall lead by sweeping the doubles action, led by Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig at the No. 1 position. The Oregon pair defeated the No. 55 team of Quinn Borchard and Peter Malacek, 8-4. Jason Menke and Arron Spencer improved to 3-2 on the season at No. 2 doubles, 8-2. Thomas Bieri joined Manuel Kost, who played doubles for the first time this season, to win at No. 3, 8-4.
In singles action, No. 64 Kost, Swinnen and Menke all won in straight sets to clinch the victory for Oregon. Teig knocked off No. 112 Malacek at No. 1 in three sets, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, to bring him within three victories of breaking the all-time Oregon record for singles victories. Bieri at No. 3 and Spencer at No. 5 both won in three sets. Both players are undefeated this dual season in singles play.
Oregon will resume play Saturday against No. 73 Boise State at the Student Tennis Center. Live scoring will be available for the match at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 72 Oregon defeats Portland, 7-0
1. Oded Teig (O) def. No. 112 Peter Malacek (P), 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 64 Manuel Kost (O) def. Roman Borvanov (P), 7-6, 7-5
3. Sven Swinnen (O) def. Quinn Borchard (P), 7-6, 6-3
4. Thomas Bieri (O) def. James Redpath (P), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Arron Spencer (O) def. Ram Hernandez (P), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Jason Menke (O) def. Ty Garrison (P), 6-1, 7-5
1. Swinnen/Teig (O) def. Borchard/Malacek (P), 8-4
2. Menke/Spencer (O) def. Garrison/Redpath (P), 8-2
3. Bieri/Kost (O) def. Borvanov/Hernandez (P), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive