Stanford Beats North Carolina 6-1
Feb. 8, 2003
Madison, Wis. - The top-ranked Stanford women's tennis team bounced back after its loss to California yesterday to take a 6-1 victory from fifth-ranked North Carolina on Saturday afternoon at the 2003 USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships in a quarterfinal play-off match. The Cardinal improve to 3-1, while the Tar Heels fall to 5-2.
Stanford dominated the doubles competition, winning all three matches. Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA) picked up an 8-5 win at No. 1 and freshman duo Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) and Amber Liu (La Mesa, CA) won in the second position, 8-6. Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, WA) completed the Cardinal sweep with an 8-4 victory over North Carolina's Bairos/Cline at No. 3.
The Tar Heels took the first singles match, 11th-ranked Kate Pinchbeck defeated Barnikow 6-1, 6-1, at No. 2. Stanford came back with wins by Tweedie-Yates (6-0, 6-1) and Liu (6-1, 6-2) at the sixth and first positions, respectively, to hold a 3-1 lead.
Burdette picked up her third win in three singles matches at the tournament with a 6-0, 5-7, 7-5 win at No. 3 over Aniela Mojzis. Anderson and Barnes both won their three-set matches to give Stanford a 6-1 victory.
The Cardinal will return home for a five-match homestand to host LMU on Thursday, Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m. at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
No. 1 Stanford 6, No. 5 North Carolina 1
(1) Lauren Barnikow / Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Pinchbeck/Bunn (UNC) --- 8-5
(2) Alice Barnes / Amber Liu (STAN) def. Mojzis/Mejia (UNC) --- 8-6
(3) Emilia Anderson / Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Bairos/Cline (UNC) --- 8-4
(1) Amber Liu (STAN) def. Marlene Mejia (UNC) --- 6-1, 6-2
(2) Kate Pinchbeck (UNC) def. Lauren Barnikow (STAN) --- 6-1, 6-4
(3) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Aniela Mojzis (UNC) --- 6-0, 5-7, 7-5
(4) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Kendall Cline (UNC) --- 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(5) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Lee Bairos (UNC) --- 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
(6) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Tanja Markovic (UNC) --- 6-0, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive