Women's Tennis Falls In USTA/ITA Championship Semifinal
Feb. 8, 2003
MADISON, Wisc. - The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team fell to second-ranked Florida, 5-1, to end its outstanding run in the semifinals at the 2003 USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc., on Saturday. The loss is the first for the Women of Troy (5-1) this season. Florida (6-0) remains undefeated and will face Duke for the championship on Sunday.
The Trojans were making their first appearance in the tournament semifinals in 25 years. In 1988 USC was also eliminated by Florida.
To start this afternoon's match, the USC dropped the doubles point for the third-straight match, but this time was unable to overcome the deficit. The Gators won at all three courts by identical 8-5 scores.
In singles, third-ranked Jewel Peterson notched the Women of Troy's first and only point by defeating Florida's seventh-ranked Lindsay Dawaf, 6-2, 6-4, at center court. The Gators responded by posting quick wins at No. 6, 2 and 3 to clinch the victory.
The Blue Devils defeated 10th-seeded California 4-1 in the other semifinal match.
The USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship is the nation's premier indoor tournament. This tournament, which usually serves as a sneak preview to the season-ending NCAA Championships in May, began in 1988 and has been hosted by Wisconsin each year.
#2 Florida 5, #7 USC 1
(1) #7 Gordon/Scaringe (UF) def. #9 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-5
(2) #12 Dawaf/Rotondi (UF) def. #40 Magnani/Loyola (USC) - 8-5
(3) Magley/Reyes (UF) def. Vermeulen/Melissa Esmero (USC) - 8-5
Florida wins doubles point.
(1) #3 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #7 Lindsay Dawaf (UF) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #9 Alexis Gordon (UF) def. Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(3) #24 Julia Scaringe (UF) def. #55 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 7-5
(4) #22 Julie Rotondi (UF) def. #103 Anita Loyola (USC) - 7-5, 6-1
(5) #83 Zerene Reyes (UF) vs. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - suspended
(6) Jennifer Magley (UF) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive