Women's Tennis Pushes Win Streak to Five
Feb. 8, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 49 Oregon women's tennis team knocked off Pacific, 6-1, Saturday at the Student Tennis Center. The Ducks (5-1) have now won five straight matches, with a chance to push that number to seven Sunday.
Playing without sophomore star Daria Panova, the Ducks had little trouble with the Tigers. Ester Bak joined Courtney Nagle at No. 1 doubles, and the tandem won easily, 8-3. Monika Gieczys and Julie Merle remained undefeated at No. 2 doubles, 8-5, while Anna Leksinska and Jamie Marshall did the same at No. 3 doubles, 8-3.
Oregon won all but the No. 1 spot in singles play, with four of the victories coming in straight sets. At No. 1 singles, Nagle came close to defeating Katharina Heil before losing, 7-6, 6-4. Gieczys held on at No. 2, 6-2, 7-5, while Bak's straight-sets victory at No. 5 clinched the team victory for the Ducks.
Marshall and Leksinska won their matches at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively, by the same score, 6-1, 6-0. The last match out on the courts came at No. 3, where Merle and Natasha Kestenko split the first two sets before Merle won a third-set 10-point tiebreaker.
The Ducks have no time to rest before their next matches. Oregon faces UC Irvine Sunday at 9 a.m. at the Student Tennis Center and then will play Portland State at 6 p.m.
Live scoring will be available for both matches at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 49 Oregon defeats Pacific, 6-1
1. Katharina Heil (P) def. Courtney Nagle (O), 7-6, 6-4
2. Monika Gieczys (O) def. Viktoria Hizo (P), 6-2, 7-5
3. Julie Merle (O) def. Natasha Kestenko (P), 6-1, 6-7, 10-8
4. Jamie Marshall (O) def. Urska Dvorsek (P), 6-1, 6-0
5. Ester Bak (O) def. Jessica Beauchene (P), 6-1, 6-3
6. Anna Leksinska (O) def. Lisa Lester (P), 6-1, 6-0
1. Bak/Nagle (O) def. Heil/Hizo (P), 8-3
2. Gieczys/Merle (O) def. Beauchene/Kostenko (P), 8-5
3. Leksinska/Marshall (O) def. Dvorsek/Lester (P), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/29 | 4:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/29 | 7:00pm PTLive