Men's Tennis Tops Utah, 6-1
Feb. 10, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (3-2) topped the University of Utah (3-3), 6-1, Monday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils swept all three doubles matches for the first point and won five of the six singles matches. With the doubles win, ASU has now won the doubles point in four of the past five duals.
In doubles play, the No. 3 team of Ryan McBride and Pim Van Mele were the first off the courts with an easy 8-2 win over Kaisorn Chaichana and Daniel Lohff. The Letcher brothers, Clinton and Chris, were second off on the No. 2 court with an 8-4 victory over Utah's Tomasz Gryzyb and Tyler Poulson. The Devils wrapped up the sweep on court No. 1 when the 17th-ranked duo of Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart were extended to a 9-7 win over Roeland Brateanu and Nick Coutts. Charroin and Stewart are now 12-2 overall.
In singles action, both Letcher brothers won in straight sets, Clinton at No. 1 and Chris at No. 5. Van Mele had an easy time on the No. 3 court with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Coutts, while Charroin lost only two games on court No. 4 in a 6-1, 6-1 win over Lohff. Stewart was extended into three sets before pulling out a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory over Poulson on the No. 2 court. The Utes' lone win occurred on the No. 6 court where Gryzyb defeated Ryan Eveloff, 6-3, 6-2.
Up next, the Devils open Pac-10 play in Los Angeles as they face top-ranked UCLA on Friday, February 14 at 1:30 p.m. and 14th-ranked USC on Saturday, February 15 at Noon.
1. #17 Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Brateanu/Coutts (Utah) 9-7
2. Letcher/Letcher (ASU) def. Gryzyb/Poulson (Utah) 8-4
3. Ryan McBride/Van Mele (ASU) def. Chaichana/Lohff (Utah) 8-2
1. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Roeland Brateanu (Utah) 6-1, 6-3
2. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Tyler Poulson (Utah) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Nick Coutts (Utah) 6-3, 6-0
4. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Daniel Lohff (Utah) 6-1, 6-1
5. Chris Letcher (ASU) def. Kaisorn Chaichana (Utah) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tomasz Gryzyb (Utah) def. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/29 | 4:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/29 | 7:00pm PTLive