Men's Tennis Drops 6-1 Decision To No. 15 USC
Feb. 15, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The 15th-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated Arizona State, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 6-2 overall this season, while the Sun Devils drop to 3-4. ASU claimed its only point thanks to Chris Letcher's 6-1, 7-6 decision over Parker Collins at No. 5
USC's new doubles pairings proved successful for the second consecutive outing, as the Trojans won two-of-three doubles matches to earn the first point of the afternoon.
In singles, sophomore Johan Berg and Daniel Langre claimed the first two wins with two-set victories over ASU's Chris Stewart and Pim Van Mele. Ahead 3-0, USC's Ruben Torres defeated the Sun Devils' Oliver Charroin 6-3, 6-3 to secure the Trojan victory.
Sophomore Prakash Amritraj posted his seventh consecutive win by sweeping Clinton Letcher 7-5, 6-4 at center court to put USC ahead 5-0. The Trojans' Jeff Kazarian completed the afternoon by defeating Ryan Eveloff in a third-set tiebreaker, 5-7, 6-1, 15-13, at court six.
Up next, Arizona State hosts Arizona on Friday, February 28 at 1:30 p.m.
#15 USC 6, #43 Arizona State 1
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Jonathan Stott/Charroin (ASU) - 8-5
(2) Letcher/Letcher (ASU) def. Berg/Collins (USC) - 8-1
(3) Langre/Torres (USC) def. Van Mele/Ryan McBride (ASU) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU) - 6-3, 6-1
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Oliver Charroin (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) Chris Letcher (ASU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-1, 7-6(1)
(6) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) - 5-7, 6-1, 15-13
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive