Ducks Defeat Women's Tennis, 4-3
Feb. 16, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Arizona women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season Sunday versus Oregon, 4-3. The visiting Ducks defeated Arizona after rain delayed the match Friday.
In singles play, graduate student Emilie Scribot defeated Oregon's Daria Panova in the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 6-0. Playing in the second position for the first time this season, sophomore Maja Mlakar fell to Monika Gieczys, 6-4, 6-2. In the third spot, Oregon's Courtney Nagle handed sophomore Dianne Hollands her first singles loss of the season, 5-7, 6-1, 7-5. In the fourth spot, junior Debbie Larocque defeated Julie Merle, 7-5, 6-2. Playing in the fifth position, sophomore Kelly Perry won her match versus Jamie Marshall, 6-3, 6-2. Rounding out the singles action for the Wildcats, freshman Kristy Randono fell to Ester Bak in the sixth spot, 6-0, 6-2.Oregon went on to win the doubles point, taking two of three matches. In the first spot, Hollands and Scribot teamed up to win their second doubles match of the season, defeating Panova and Nagle, 8-6. In the second spot, Oregon's Bak and Gieczys defeated No. 25 Mlakar and Larocque, 8-2. In the third position, Oregon's Leksinska and Marshall defeated Arizona's duo of Perry and freshman Zorica Zasova, 9-7.
The Wildcat women's tennis team will next be in action Friday, Feb. 21, versus USC. The match starts at 1:30 p.m., at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Emilie Scribot (UA) def. Daria Panova (UO), 6-2, 6-0
2. Monika Gieczys (UO) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-4, 6-2
3. Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Julie Merle (UO), 7-5, 6-2
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Jamie Marshall (UO), 6-3, 6-2
6. Ester Bak (UO) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 6-0, 6-2
1. Hollands/Scribot (UA) def. Panova/Nagle (UO), 8-6
2. Bak/Gieczys (UO) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-2
3. Leksinska/Marshall (UO) def. Perry/Zasova (UA), 9-7