No. 18 Cal Visits USC Saturday
Feb. 21, 2003
California Golden Bears (18-5, 11-3) at USC Trojans (10-12, 5-8)
Saturday, Feb. 22, 8 p.m., L.A. Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA
TV: KRON (Channel 4)
Radio: KFRC (610 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal looks to rebound from Thursday's 76-75 overtime loss at UCLA when the Bears visit USC Saturday night. Cal has won three straight over the Trojans and 10 of 13 since Ben Braun became head coach.
* The Bears tied a school record with their fourth overtime game of the season against the Bruins. Cal went 3-1 in OT contests in 1971-72, the only other time in school history the Bears have played four overtime games. Cal is 2-2 in overtime this year, beating Cleveland State and San Francisco and falling to Georgia and UCLA.
* Freshman PG Richard Midgley made all three of his three-point attempts at UCLA to raise his Pac-10-leading accuracy rate to 49.2 percent (31-63) from behind the arc. Over his past four games, Midgley is 8-for-12 from three-point range.
* Senior F Joe Shipp scored his 1,500th career point at UCLA. With 18 points against the Bruins, Shipp enters Saturday's game with 1,512 points, good for seventh on Cal's all-time list. He leads the Pac-10 in scoring with an average of 20.8 ppg this season.
* At 6-3 on opponent home courts this year, Cal has guaranteed itself its first winning road record since 1994-95, when the Bears were 7-5.
* Cal needs just two more wins to post three consecutive seasons with at least 20 victories for the first time since 1946-48.
* Sophomore F Amit Tamir recorded his fifth double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds vs. UCLA.
* With two three-pointers against the Bruins, Tamir also moved into a tie for seventh place on Cal's season list with 51 three-pointers. Geno Carlisle (1998) and Jason Kidd (1994) also had 51 treys in one year.
* Senior F Brian Wethers, the Pac-10 Player of the Week Feb. 10, matched a season-best with 21 points vs. UCLA.
* Shipp needs one more three-pointer to tie Randy Duck (1994-97) for second on Cal's career three-point chart. He enters the USC game with 152, while Duck ended his career with 153 triples.
RADIO NOTE: Due to a time conflict with an Oakland A's spring training game, Cal's March 2 game vs. Arizona State will move from KFRC Radio (610 AM) to KYCY Radio (1550 AM).
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive