Trojans Defeat Arkansas, 4-2, At USTA/ITA Championships
Feb. 21, 2003
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The USC men's tennis team (7-3) bounced back from its opening round loss to defeat No. 28 Arkansas (6-3), 4-2, on Friday (Feb. 21) in the consolation round of the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships in Louisville, Ky. The 13th-ranked Trojans will now face Texas on Saturday (Feb. 22) at 9 a.m. The winner will finish tied for ninth place.
The 22nd-ranked Longhorns defeated No. 33 San Diego State, 4-1, on Friday to advance.
'When you look at our season, this was a must-win match for our team,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Arkansas is a great indoor team and we really had to fight hard to earn this win. It's important that we bring this effort into our match tomorrow against Texas.'
USC's doubles play got off to a much better start against the Razorbacks. The Trojans secured the doubles point with identical 8-6 wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions.
Prakash Amritraj opened singles play with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over the Razorback's Nathan Price at center court, putting the Trojans ahead 2-0. Arkansas then gave USC a scare when it knotted the score with wins at the No. 5 and 4 spots.
Langre followed by beating No. 104 Eduardo Pacheco to clinch the USC win. Langre only broke serve once in the entire match in the 11th game of the second set to go ahead 6-5. He then served out to take set, match at 7-5.
USC's Whit Livingston made his singles debut against the Razorbacks. Livingston was down 3-2 in the third set when his match was suspended.
#13 USC 4, #28 Arkansas 2
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Price/Pacheco (Ark) - 8-6
(2) Berg/Collins (USC) vs. Bubis/Roberts (Ark) - suspended
(3) Langre/Torres (USC) def. Gajjar/Parker (Ark) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Nathan Price (Ark) - 6-2, 6-0
(2) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. #57 Aleksey Bubis (Ark) - 7-6(5), 6-4
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. #104 Eduardo Pacheco (Ark) - 7-6(2), 7-5
(4) Adrians Zguns (Ark) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-0, 6-4
(5) Rohan Gajjar (Ark) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(6) Whit Livingston (USC) vs. Matt Roberts (Ark) - 7-6, 3-6, 2-3 suspended