Women's Tennis Falls to No. 20 Washington
Feb. 22, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 39 Oregon women's tennis team fell to No. 20 Washington, 6-1, Saturday at the Student Tennis Center. The Ducks (8-3, 1-2) played several close matches, but the Huskies were able to pull out the road victory.
Sophomore Daria Panova, ranked No. 28 nationally, was Oregon's lone winner in the dual. Panova defeated Washington's Claire Carter, ranked No. 80, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Junior Courtney Nagle nearly upset No. 42 Darija Klaic, but eventually lost at No. 2, 0-6, 7-5, 6-1.
Freshman Jamie Marshall and sophomore Ester Bak also played three-set matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. Marshall lost her match, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2, while Bak lost her match, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. Bak trailed 4-0 in the third set before mounting a comeback and tying the set at five games apiece, only to lose the final two games. It was Bak's first loss in singles play in dual action this year.
In doubles play, Nagle and Panova had a chance against the No. 3 tandem of Carter and Klaic. The Washington pair stormed out to a 4-0 lead before Nagle and Panova fought back to tie the match, 7-7. Carter and Klaic were able to win the final two games to pull out the match. Oregon lost at the other two positions, both by the score of 8-2.
Oregon has little time to recover as it will play No. 44 Washington State Sunday at 11 a.m. Live scoring will be available for the match at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 20 Washington defeats No. 39 Oregon, 6-1.
1. No. 28 Daria Panova (O) def. No. 80 Claire Carter (W), 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 42 Darija Klaic (W) def. Courtney Nagle (W), 0-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Dea Sumantri (W) def. Monika Gieczys (O), 6-4, 6-1
4. Erin Boisclair (W) def. Julie Merle (O), 6-0, 6-0
5. Colleen Gray (W) def. Jamie Marshall (O), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
6. Hadzic (W) def. Ester Bak (O), 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
1. No. 3 Carter/Klaic (W) def. Nagle/Panova (O), 9-7
2. Gray/Sumantri (W) def. Bak/Gieczys (O), 8-2
3. Boisclair/Hadzic (W) def. Leksinska/Marshall (O), 8-2