Men's Tennis Extends Win Streak to Six Matches
Feb. 23, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 66 Oregon men's tennis team extended its win streak to six matches with a 6-1 defeat of UC Santa Barbara. The Ducks (7-1) swept the doubles play and took five of the six singles matches to claim victory.
'This was a big weekend for us,' Oregon head coach Chris Russell said. 'We knew we were going to have to play well to beat these two teams this weekend. All in all, our team just played very solid tennis.'
The day belonged to senior Oded Teig, whose 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles over No. 122 Micro Schwindt gave him 65 career singles wins, a new Oregon record. Teig broke Lee Kirner's record that has lasted nearly a decade.
Teig also won in doubles play with teammate Sven Swinnen at the No. 1 position, 8-3. Swinnen and Teig are now 7-1 in dual action, with their only loss coming against the No. 7-ranked team in the nation. Jason Menke and Arron Spencer pulled out a tight match at No. 2 in a tiebreaker, 9-8, while Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost had little trouble winning at No. 3, 8-2.
In other singles action, three other Ducks were able to win in straight sets, including two extremely close matches. Chris King jumped into the singles lineup at the No. 6 spot and won, 6-3, 6-1. Bieri and Menke each won their matches by the same score, 7-6, 7-6, at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.
'We're winning the close individual matches at home, which is what we need to be doing,' Russell said. 'We're right where we want to be heading into next weekend's matches.'
Swinnen won in three sets at No. 3, 6-1, 2-6, 6-2, while No. 64 Kost lost a close match at No. 1 to No. 55 Carlos Palencia, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Ducks travel to Seattle for a Friday match with Washington, followed by a Saturday match with Purdue.
No. 66 Oregon defeats UC Santa Barbara, 6-1.
1. No. 55 Carlos Palencia (SB) def. No. 64 Manuel Kost (O), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Oded Teig (O) def. No. 122 Micro Schwindt (SB), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sven Swinnen (O) def. Alex Anselme (SB), 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
4. Thomas Bieri (O) def. Mike Placek (SB), 7-6, 7-6 (10)
5. Jason Menke (O) def. Nick Brotman (SB), 7-6, 7-6 (5)
6. Chris King (O) def. Ilya Leshinsky (SB), 6-3, 6-1
1. Swinnen/Teig (O) def. Palencia/Schwindt (SB), 8-3
2. Menke/Spencer (O) def. Anselme/Placek (SB), 9-8
3. Bieri/Kost (O) def. Brotman/Leshinsky (SB), 8-2