Tennis Defeats San Diego, 7-0, For Third-Straight Shutout
Feb. 26, 2003
San Diego, Calif. - The No. 2-ranked USC women's tennis team (9-1) earned its third straight shutout with a 7-0 victory over San Diego on Wednesday afternoon at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego.
The win is the fourth-consecutive for the Women of Troy who jumped one spot to No. 2 in the updated rankings released today by the ITA.
USC got past all three doubles matches with ease, allowing San Diego to only collect seven total points in the three sets. Entering singles play ahead 1-0, the Trojans earned quick wins at No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 to seal the victory.
At No. 6, Bernadette Bayani beat San Diego's Jennifer Brown in a tiebreaker, 3-6, 6-2, 10-8, to put the Women of Troy's sixth point on the board. Fourth-ranked Jewel Peterson fought to defeat USD's Emma Murphy, 7-5, 7-5, at center court in the final match of the day.
The Women of Troy return home to face No. 29 San Diego State this Friday, Feb. 28, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#2 USC 7, San Diego 0
(1) #20 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Livesay/Murphy (USD) - 8-3
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Leo/Kazarian (USD) - 8-3
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. Brown/Lum-Tucker (USD) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Emma Murphy (USD) - 7-5, 7-5
(2) #32 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Tara Livesay (USD) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Anne Rapp (USD) - 6-0, 6-2
(4) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Lauren Kazarian (USD) - 6-2, 6-3
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Lauren Leo (USD) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Jennifer Brown (USD) - 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
- GO SC -