Aztecs Fall As Women Of Troy Continue Streak
Feb. 28, 2003
LOS ANGELES - Thanks to the come-from-behind efforts of Tiffany Brymer, Jewel Peterson and Melissa Esmero, the No. 2-ranked USC women's tennis team earned its fourth straight shutout with a 7-0 victory over 29th-ranked San Diego State on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With their fifth consecutive win, the Women of Troy improve to 10-1 overall, while the Aztecs drops to 5-2.
USC held San Diego State to only three total points in doubles, while sweeping all three matches to earn the first point of the afternoon. In the same fashion, the Women of Troy earned quick two-set victories at No. 5, 3 and 2 singles to go ahead 4-0 and secure the win.
Even with the victory in hand, Brymer, Peterson and Esmero were not willing to give up on their matches. At center court, Peterson dropped the first set but managed to comeback and beat the Aztecs' Silvia Tornier 3-6, 6-2, 6-2. At court No. 4, Brymer also came from behind after dropping the first set and defeated Patricia Graf in the tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 10-3. Last off the court was Esmero who earned a 6-4 win in her first set on court six, dropped the second set 3-6 and eventually earned a 10-8 win in the tiebreaker for USC's seventh point of the afternoon.
The Women of Troy host eighth-ranked UCLA on Wednesday, March 5, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#2 USC 7, #29 San Diego State 0
(1) #20 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. #53 Tornier/Erichson (SDSU) - 8-2
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Karrento/Romero (SDSU) - 8-1
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. Hedberg/Graf (SDSU) - 8-0
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Silvia Tornier (SDSU) - 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
(2) #32 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Katja Karrento (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-2
(4) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Patricia Graf (SDSU) - 4-6, 6-4, 10-3
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Katalina Romero (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-1
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Indra Erichson (SDSU) - 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
- GO SC -