No. 10 UW Men's Tennis Defeats No. 65 Oregon 6-1 For Ninth Straight Win
Feb. 28, 2003
SEATTLE - No. 10 Washington men's tennis (9-0) picked up its ninth straight win defeating Northwest rival Oregon 6-1, Friday, at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The Huskies started the day off winning all three doubles matches to take the doubles point. The 55th-ranked doubles tandem Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski defeated Oded Tieg and Sven Swinnen 8-5, while Huskies Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby downed Jason Menke and Arron Spencer 8-3, at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, respectively. In the No. 3 doubles position Fred Sundsten and Nick Weiss defeated Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost 8-4 to earn the clinch for the Huskies.
In the No. 1 position of the singles, 14th-ranked Matt Hanlin downed Oded Tieg in straight sets 6-4, 6-0, while eighth ranked Alex Vlaski defeated Manuel Kost 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 2 postion. Ari Strasberg fell to Sven Swinnen 6-3, 2-6, 3-0 before he called.
UW's Christoph Palmanshofer defeated Thomas Bieri in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 4 position, and Peter Scharler came from behind to defeat Jason Menke 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 in the No. 5 position to earn the clinch. Ruby cruised past Aron Spencer 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 6 position for the Huskies.
The Huskies, having won nine-straight to open the 2003 spring season, will take on the Boilermakers of Purdue, Sunday March 2, at 12 p.m. at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Oregon
February 28, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
#12 Washington 6, #65 Oregon 1
1. Strasberg & Vlaski (UW) def. Tieg & Swinnen (UO) 8-5
2. Hanlin & Ruby (UW) def. Menke & Spencer (UO) 8-3
3. Sundsten & Weiss (UW) def. Bieri & Kost (UO) 8-4 (clinch)
1. Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Oded Tieg (UO) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Manuel Kost (UO) 7-5, 6-3
3. Sven Swinnen (UO) def, Ari Strasberg (UW) 3-6, 6-3, 0-3 (ret.)
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Thomas Bieri (UO) 6-2, 6-4
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Jason Menke (UO) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (clinch)
6. Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Aron Spencer (UO) 6-0, 6-2