Men's Tennis Falls To Purdue
March 1, 2003
SEATTLE, Wash. - The Duck men's tennis team began the day strong, winning two of three doubles matches, and earning the key doubles point. However, singles play was a different story, as the Boilermakers of Purdue came out victorious in a number of close singles matches, and ultimately won the competition 6-1.
The Duck tandems of Oded Tieg and Sven Swinnen and Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost cruised to match victories in doubles play. Tieg and Swinnen won 8-5 over Scott Mayer and Paul Rose of Purdue, while Bieri and Kost up-ended Purdue's duo of Sounak Chatterjee and Colin Foster 8-2.
In singles play, the Ducks forced three matches to three sets, but could only come up with one victory. The sole singles win came from Oded Tieg, who defeated Andrew Wakefield 1-6, 6-2, 6-2. In the No. 3 spot, Sven Swinnen was all but victorious, as he pushed Purdue's Troy Havens to extra games in both sets, but could not get over the hump, eventually falling by a score of 6-7, 5-7. The Duck's No. 1 man, Manuel Kost, battled Purdue's Scott Mayer tough, but once again, was just short of victory, falling 6-4, 6-4 in a close match.
The Men's tennis squad travels to Houston, Texas next Friday afternoon, March 7, to face the Rice Owls, with competition beginning at 1:00 p.m.
1. Oded Tieg/Sven Swinnen (0) def. Scott Mayer/Paul Rose (P) 8-5
2. Troy Havens/Andrew Wakefield (P) def. Jason Menke/Aaron Spencer (O) 8-4
3. Thomas Bieri/Manuel Kost (O) def. Sounak Chatterjee/Colin Foster (P) 8-2
1. Scott Mayer (P) def. Manuel Kost (O) 6-4, 6-4
2. Oded Tieg (O) def. Andrew Wakefield (P) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Troy Havens (P) def. Sven Swinnen (O) 7-6, 7-5
4. Paul Rose (P) def. Thomas Bieri (O) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. David Robinson (P) def. Jason Menke (O) 7-6, 6-1
6. Colin Foster (P) def. Aaron Spencer (O) 7-6, 3-6, 6-0