No. 3 Stanford Captures First Pac-10 Win At Oregon
March 1, 2003
Eugene, Ore. - For the second consecutive match, the third-ranked Stanford women's tennis team recorded a 7-0 victory over its opponent. This time the Cardinal handled the Ducks, winning all six singles matches in straight sets en route to the win on Saturday afternoon at the Student Tennis Center.
Stanford was tested in doubles play, but were still able to handle the Ducks. The top-ranked doubles team in the country, Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA), faced a challenge from Oregon's top tandem, the 38th-ranked pair of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova, but prevailed in the 16th game before winning the match 9-7. Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) and Amber Liu (La Mesa, CA) picked up a 8-6 victory at No. 2, while Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, WA) completed the sweep with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
In singles play, 10th-ranked Liu made quick work of Panova, winning 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 1 spot. Tweedie-Yates had the most challenging sets, beating Anna Leksinska 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6.
The Cardinal return home to host 11th-ranked William & Mary on Tuesday, March 4. Play will begin at 1:30 p.m. in the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
No. 3 Stanford 7, Oregon 0
1. #1 Lauren Barnikow / Erin Burdette (S) def. No. 38 Courtney Nagle/Daria Panova (O) 9-7
2. Alice Barnes / Amber Liu (S) def. Ester Bak/Monica Gieczys (O) 8-6
3. Story Tweedie-Yates / Emilia Anderson (S) def. Anna Leksinska/Julie Merle (O) 8-4
1. #10 Amber Liu (S) def. No. 16 Daria Panova (O) 6-1, 6-1
2. #26 Lauren Barnikow (S) def. No. 52 Courtney Nagle (O) 7-6, 6-0
3. #43 Erin Burdette (S) def. Jamie Marshall (O) 6-3, 6-1
4. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Julie Merle (O) 6-0, 6-1
5. Emilia Anderson (S) def. Ester Bak (O) 6-3, 6-2
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (S) def. Anna Leksinska (O) 6-3, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive