No. 10 UW Men's Tennis Defeats No. 55 Purdue 6-1 For Tenth Straight Win
March 2, 2003
SEATTLE - No. 10 Washington men's tennis (10-0) picked up its 10th straight victory defeating the Boilermakers of Purdue, 6-1, Sunday at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The Huskies started the day off winning two of three doubles matches to take the doubles point. Huskies Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby downed Scott Mayer and Paul Rose in the No. 1 position, while in the No. 2 position UW's Fred Sundsten and Nick Weiss fell to Troy Havens and Andrew Wakefield, 8-3. In the No. 3 position Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler defeated Sounak Chatterjee and Colin Foster, 8-4.
Eighth-ranked Alex Vlaski clinched the win for UW with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 victory over Mayer at No. 1 singles. Fourteenth-ranked Hanlin downed Wakefield in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 2 position. UW's Palmanshofer defeated Havens 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 in the No 3 position.
UW's Sundsten battled Rose coming up short to lose 7-6, 4-6, 7-6 in the No. 4 position, while Scharler came from behind to defeat David Robinson 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 in the No. 5 position. Ruby cruised past Foster 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 6 position for the Huskies.
The Huskies, having won 10-straight to open the 2003 spring season, will take on Fresno State, Friday, March 7, at 2 p.m. at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Purdue
March 3, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
#10 Washington 6, #55 Purdue 1
1. Hanlin & Ruby (UW) def. Mayer & Rose (UP) 8-6 (clinch)
2. Havens & Wakefield (UP) def. Sundsten & Weiss (UW 8-3
3. Palmanshofer & Scharler (UW) def. Chatterjee & Foster (UP) 8-4
1. Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Scott Mayer (UP) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 (clinch)
2. Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Andrew Wakefield (UP) 6-2, 6-2
3. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Troy Havens (UP) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
4. Paul Rose (UP) def. Fred Sundsten (UW) 7-6, 4-6, 7-6
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. David Robinson (UP) 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
6. Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Colin Foster (UP) 6-2, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive