Men's Tennis Falls to No. 35 Rice, 7-0
March 7, 2003
HOUSTON - The No. 64 Oregon men's tennis team lost to No. 35 Rice, 7-0, Friday in Houston. The Ducks (7-4, 0-1) have now lost three matches in a row following a six-match winning streak.
The Ducks came close in doubles play, having a chance at both No. 2 and No. 3. At the No. 1 spot, the No. 1-ranked tandem of Richard and William Barker defeated the No. 15 pair of Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig, 8-2. At No. 2, Jason Menke and Arron Spencer lost a close one, 8-5, while Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost lost in an even closer match at No. 3, 9-7.
Oregon played the singles portion of the match without two of its top three players. Swinnen and No. 79 Teig sat out following doubles play. Junaid Hossain, playing in his first dual match as a Duck, came the closest to winning for Oregon, losing 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9).
Oregon will play No. 11 Texas A&M Saturday at 4 p.m. in College Station. The Aggies feature the No. 3-ranked doubles team in the nation.
No. 35 Rice def. No. 64 Oregon, 7-0
1. No. 20 Robert Searle (Rice) def. Manuel Kost (UO), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 23 Richard Barker (Rice) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 35 William Barker (Rice) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-2, 6-3
4. Tony Haerle (Rice) def. Arron Spencer (UO), 6-1, 6-2
5. Cody Jackson (Rice) def. Chris King (UO), 6-1, 6-4
6. Ridrigo Gabriel (Rice) def. Junaid Hossain (UO), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
1. No. 1 Barker/Barker (Rice) def. No. 15 Swinnen/Teig (UO), 8-2
2. Haerle/Searle (Rice) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-5
3. Jackson/Mathaes (Rice) def. Bieri/Kost (UO), 9-7
Fri 11/24 | 12:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/24 | 5:00pm PTLive