Men's Tennis Loses to Texas A&M on the Road
March 8, 2003
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The No. 64 Oregon men's tennis team suffered its fourth-straight loss Saturday, this time against No. 11 Texas A&M, 7-0. The Ducks (7-5, 0-1) nearly won at No. 1 doubles and took three matches to three sets in singles, but were unable to upset the Aggies.
'I don't say this very often, but we had them in some very close matches,' head coach Chris Russell said. 'I understand that it is hard to say when you lose 7-0, but we had some good things happening out there on the courts.'
The No. 15-ranked duo of Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig lost a close match at No. 1 doubles to Lester Cook and Ryan Newport, 9-7. The Aggies were able to win the other two doubles matches to take the 1-0 lead into singles action.
Oregon battled back in three matches in singles to force three sets. Swinnen won the first set and nearly won the third at No. 3 against No. 77 Ante Matijevic of Texas A&M, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. Oregon's two freshman regulars, Thomas Bieri and Arron Spencer, each played their way into 10-point third-set tiebreakers, but lost. Bieri lost his match at No. 4 to Khaled El Dorry, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7), while Spencer lost at No. 6 to John Nallon, 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8).
Oregon will have more than two weeks off before hosting San Francisco and UC Riverside on March 25. Following those two matches, the Ducks will resume Pac-10 play against California and Stanford at the Student Tennis Center March 28-29.
No. 11 Texas A&M def. No. 64 Oregon, 7-0
1. No. 29 Ryan Newport (TAM) def. Manuel Kost (UO), 7-5, 6-2
2. No. 37 Lester Cook (TAM) def. No. 79 Oded Teig (UO), 6-0, 6-3
3. No. 77 Ante Matijevic (TAM) def. Sven Swinnen (UO), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Khaled El Dorry (TAM) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Matt Loucks (TAM) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-4, 6-1
6. John Nallon (TAM) def. Arron Spencer (UO), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Cook/Newport (TAM) def. No. 15 Swinnen/Teig (UO), 9-7
2. Loucks/Nallon (TAM) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-4
3. El Dorry/Matijevic (TAM) def. Bieri/Kost (UO), 8-2