No. 10 UW Men's Tennis Sweeps Santa Clara 7-0 for Twelfth Straight Win
March 8, 2003
Seattle, Wash. - No. 10 Washington men's tennis team (12-0) picked up its 12th straight victory defeating Santa Clara 7-0, Saturday at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The Huskies opened the day by winning all of the doubles competition against the Broncos. Seniors Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby defeated Mike Bruggemann and Erich Chen 8-5, while sophomore Fred Sundsten and junior Nick Weiss downed the Bronco's Ben Hidalgo and Francisco Zepponi 8-2. Scott Felsenthal and Alex Vlaski breezed past Santa Clara's Taylor Bedilion and Federico Mattioli to win the match 8-3.
In Singles play, Vlaski's straight set victory over Santa Clara's Erich Chen 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 1 position clinched the team victory. UW's Hanlin downed Francisco Zepponi 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 2 position. Sophomore Peter Scharler was victorious in straight sets, defeating Santa Clara's Ben Hidalgo 6-1, 6-2.
UW's Christoph Palmanshofer downed Taylor Bedilion of Santa Clara, 6-1,7-6 (2). Ruby defeated Federico Mattioli, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 4 position, while Husky Peter Scharler defeated the Bronco's Ben Hidalgo 6-1, 6-2. Junior Nick Weiss came from behind to defeat Mike Bruggemann 6-2, 7-6 (3).
With his wins today, senior Matt Hanlin tied former UW All-American Eric Drew for Washington's career combined wins record, at 158. Hanlin has won 97 singles matches and 61 doubles matches during his four-year career.
The Huskies will take on San Diego, Sunday, March 9, at 12 p.m. at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Santa Clara
March 8, 2003 - Nordstrom Lloyd Tennis Center
# 10 Washington 7, Santa Clara 0
1. Matt Hanlin & Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Mike Bruggemann & Erich Chen (SC) 8-5
2. Fred Sundsten & Nick Weiss (UW) def. Ben Hidalgo & Francisco Zepponi (SC) 8-2
3. Scott Felsenthal & Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Taylor Bedilion & Federico Mattioli (SC) 8-3
1. Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Erich Chen (SC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Francisco Zepponi (SC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Taylor Bedilion (SC) 6-1, 7-6 (2)
4. Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Federico Mattioli (SC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Ben Hidalgo (SC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Nick Weiss (UW) def. Mike Bruggemann (SC) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/24 | 12:00pm PTLive