UW's Matt Hanlin Holds New All-Time Career Combined Wins For the Huskies
March 9, 2003
SEATTLE - Fourteenth-ranked Matt Hanlin passed former UW All-American Eric Drew to claim Washington's career combined wins record today with his 159th and 160th victories. Hanlin has won 98 singles matches and 62 doubles matches, and with his two triumphs today helped the No. 10 Washington men's tennis team (13-0) remain unbeaten, as they defeated No. 41 San Diego 5-2, Sunday, at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Drew, a 1999 NCAA All-American, compiled 158 combined singles (86) and doubles (72) victories from 1996-99 to establish the previous UW record.
The 13 consecutive season-opening wins matches last year's squad for the best start in school history. The Huskies can set a new school record with a victory in their next outing as the 2002 Huskies suffered their first loss of the season in their 14th match.
The UW's tandem of Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski fell to Jason Pongsrikul and Nic Beuque 9-7 in the No. 1 position. Huskies Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby defeated tandem Plerrick Ysern and Rob Blair 8-4 in the No.2 position and in the No. 3 position duo of Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler downed Mirza Koristovic and Ben Regin 8-3.
Alex Vlaski defeated Ysern 6-4, 6-3 to earn the clinch in the No. 1 position. Hanlin downed Pongsrikul6-3, 6-0 in the No. 2 position and in the No. 3 position Husky Fred Sundsten fell to Beuque 7-5, 6-4.
UW's Palmanshofer downed Blair 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 4 position. Ruby fell to Koristovic 7-6, 6-4 in the No. 5 position, while Husky Peter Scharler defeated Regin 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 6 position.
The Huskies will hit the road for the first time in over a month, when they head to Capitola, California, to face Pacific, March 23, at 1 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. San Diego
March 9, 2003 - Nordstrom Lloyd Tennis Center
# 10 Washington 5, # 41 San Diego 2
1. Pongrikul & Beuque (SD) def. Strasberg & Vlaski (UW) 9-7
2. Hanlin & Ruby (UW) def. Ysern & Blair (SD) 8-4
3. Palmanshofer & Scharler (UW) def. Koristovic & Regin (SD) 8-3
1. (8) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Plerrick Ysern (SD) 6-4, 6-3 (clinch)
2. (14) Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Jason Pongsrikul (SD) 6-3, 6-0
3. Nic Beque (SD) def. Fred Sundsten (UW) 7-5, 6-4
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Rob Blaiar (SD) 6-3, 6-4
5. Mirza Koristovic (SD) def. Dillon Ruby (UW) 7-6, 6-4
6. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Ben Regin (SD) 6-0, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/24 | 12:00pm PTLive